Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sn summer camps..would you go?

(9 Posts)
zzzzz Tue 19-Jul-11 09:58:20

Has anyone found summer camps [I am thinking the kind of thing you could attend with your child rather than day-care] in the UK? I keep reading about fabulous places in the US and wonder if there is anything like that here.

What I am dreaming of is somewhere where we can all go as a family and there will be stuff for ds [like social games, riding or swimming, food games, real therapy], stuff for siblings [like friends that get it], stuff for me [like perhaps introductions to ABA, or Auditory training, coffee, other Mums], stuff for dh [like other Dads who have to stop what they are doing to rescue their son from dangerous sandy hands].

I would really like it if we could try out ABA for a week and see what it is like. Or perhaps learn about other ways of doing things. Do such places exist? How much do you think it would cost? Have any of you tried camps in the US?

I guess I am wondering if there is anyone else who dreams about stuff like this and if so what there vision is? [I am a large house wife NOT a strange cult about to start a summer camp, so not for research].

silverfrog Tue 19-Jul-11 10:05:36

no intro to ABA, but have you looked at the Horse boy camps?

they are obviously based on riding, but the whole family goes - there are other families that get it (and may be doing other therapies you could learn about).

jimjams went on one, i believe, and her ds' all had a good time.

see here

zzzzz Tue 19-Jul-11 10:27:21

SILVERFROG WOW! and yes I was shouting but it was more of a squeak of excitement! I am emailing details to dh at work as we speak.

TheHumanCatapult Tue 19-Jul-11 10:38:13

no offcial therpahies or meetinsg as such but skituk do a camp every year wher eno one will judge your child or shy away and theres siblings go as well .just chance to relax and have lot of fun

yodelayheehoo Tue 19-Jul-11 10:53:03

Not sure where you are in the country but DD is going here for a week in the summer with her after school club for children on the autistic spectrum. Looks pretty good and you can get family membership too.

silverfrog Tue 19-Jul-11 13:25:19

hope it's useful for you, zzzzz grin - do report back if you do go. we have ummed and ahhhed for a while re: going. dd1 loves her RDA at the moment, so it owuld be a good few days, i think.

that looks really good too, yodelay, will have a nose aorund that site.

The specialkidsintheuk camp is the nearest I think I could find here... that wasn't meg bucks..

We do the week every year...new friends become old friends, lots of wonky kids of every description, fun, company, activities.....smile

TheHumanCatapult Wed 20-Jul-11 10:12:11

Were doing that for the first time this year grindespite being a member for quite some time

zzzzz Wed 20-Jul-11 13:04:55

Thanks all! Will tellyou all what we end up doing......holidays have been the last thing on my mind this year as we have been having amazing upheavals education-wise. I am planning a dreamy google this evening. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now