Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OMG - dd1 is reading!

(46 Posts)
silverfrog Sun 17-Jul-11 20:48:40

I can't believe it.

Not fluently. But have recently put a new app on her ipad (Open University Our Story, if anyone is interested - free, and brilliantly customisable) - changed the storyboard on Wednesday morning.

I know she hasn't had much time at school to go through it (so it isn't a case of ehr memorising the sentence with each photo).

opened it up this evening - first itme this weekend, possibly the first time she has seen it at all, but maybe not, and she read all 15 sentences brilliantly shock grin

examples are:

I am drinking juice
I am riding into the water
Here are the swans (she struggled with "swans" - new word - but recognised the initial letter, and asked me what the word said. on second read thorugh she read it (probably memorised the sentence)
Here is X and Y (people)

etc

I am shock shock

I knew she was doing ok with some sight reading. and that she oculd do names, and some high frequency words.

Bu I never expecte dher to be this fluent with her sight reading - she pointed ot each word and read it out grin

still along way to go, but am very proud of my girl grin grin

Lougle Sun 17-Jul-11 20:51:16

Silverfrog...that is truly amazing grin

IndigoBell Sun 17-Jul-11 20:54:56

Well done little frog! I'm so pleased for you both.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 17-Jul-11 20:56:45

That's fab news. smile

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 20:58:51

How wonderful for you all. Bet she was thrilled to bits too smile

I like nice stories

silverfrog Sun 17-Jul-11 21:03:15

thanks everyone.

am still grining

she was very proud smile

it is a fab app - you load up your own photos, and can change the text (tonight's job - o make sure she doesn't rest on her laurels grin)

she has been pointing out easy sight words in books for a couple of weeks - "'it', 'and' etc.

but to go straight into reading new sentences off a new app - I can't believe it!

zen1 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:03:35

How fantastic! You must be so proud! smile

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 17-Jul-11 21:28:45

fantastic news smile

zzzzz Sun 17-Jul-11 21:48:16

wow! off to snoop out app as fast as my finger can tap!

coff33pot Sun 17-Jul-11 21:53:46

Wow! proud mummy moment! grin

WONDERFUL! and well done dd! x

TheTimeTravellersWife Sun 17-Jul-11 22:03:37

Well done to silver froglet! Great news! And thank you for sharing it; we all need some good news stories sometimes.

sphil Sun 17-Jul-11 22:18:57

That's fantastic! Well done DD1! smile

silverfrog Sun 17-Jul-11 23:39:47

Thanks again, everyone smile

zzzzz - hope you find the app useful. It's not terribly user friendly, although not impossible to work out either, but once you have set up and saved storyboards it is fabulous.

Coming off the back of some seriously crappy news - we found out last week that dd1's school is closing at the end of this term, which naturally sparked a major panic - it has really cheered us up!

She is working so hard at the moment, and we are really proud of her smile

timetoask Mon 18-Jul-11 05:55:59

Well done to DD!!!
Thank you for sharing the name of the app, will be looking at it.
How old is your DD? Can you customise it for kids that are really only just starting to recognise letters?

Wow! Those aren't even the easy high frequency words that she is reading. That's fantastic!

sad Re the school - I can't believe that you didn't get more notice re the school. Have you got any alternative options?

signandsmile Mon 18-Jul-11 07:35:16

well done silvertadpole! and shock about the school!!

blueShark Mon 18-Jul-11 09:19:59

well done to your DD and I am sorry you havent been given more notice about the school shock

TheCrunchyside Mon 18-Jul-11 09:32:14

well done silverfrog's dd. that is brilliant news. ds is just recognising a couple of letters to reading seems a long way off - but i have a strong feeling that he will learn one day if we find the right approach.
Great to hear that if they do have the ability then persistence can pay off.

sorry about the school

silverfrog Mon 18-Jul-11 10:01:42

Thanks smile

The school situation is a nightmare, obviously. No idea whether is going to happen with her statement.

Timetoask: you could use this app for letter recognition. You can load up any picture/photo from your photo gallery, and customize the text to suit. Will look up the letter apps I used with dd1 a bit later (am out shopping to get dd a well done present!) but off the top of my head, pocketphonics and the little seller range are good (little seller range also cystomisable). Dd1 is nearly 7, and 18 months ago we were told by previous school that we might have to accept that she would never talk at school, and probably (due to not engaging) never learn well there. Well, this sticks 2 fingers up at that notion! grin

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Mon 18-Jul-11 10:03:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 10:04:33

Will the school closing mean you can move back to where you want to live?

So thrilled for your DD. I wonder what else she can read?

silverfrog Mon 18-Jul-11 10:18:21

Green autocorrect - little speller range of apps.

Indigo - no, probably not. Her statement is still issued by the LA we are now in, and amending will be less fraught than moving back and starting again... also dd2 about to start school in Sept, and has had settling sessions etc. She is not without her quirks and issues, and so not as easy (!) to upsticks and move now that she has sense of community etc.

Re: what else can she read. Hmmm, not sure. Thiswas all heavily reliant on whole word recognition, and the sentences were crafted around broadly what she knows. Lots of work still needs on phones and decoding, but I wasn't ever convinced we would get to here, so its all a bonus from now on!

silverfrog Mon 18-Jul-11 10:19:35

And that would be "grrr autocorrect"... honestly, smartphones are hard work! grin

LeninGrad Mon 18-Jul-11 13:24:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nadia77 Mon 18-Jul-11 13:44:21

thats brilliant achivement welldone to your dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now