Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do you teach 'saving skills'?

(19 Posts)
mumgoingcrazy Sun 17-Jul-11 19:45:54

DD2 is 4.1yr and only started walking unaided in November. She still has that drunken stagger kind of toddler walk but is improving all the time. I think she's almost certainly dyspraxic and has ASD traits, she also has GDD with a very spikey profile, and sensory processing disorder.

When she falls she literally goes face first and doesn't put her hands out to save herself. Yesterday her nose took the full impact of her fall and there was blood and a lot of bruising and swelling. She never seems to learn, even though I've told her. I think she is unable to process information quickly and doesn't have time to think 'I should put my arms out here' as she's going down.

The physio rolls her over a peanut roll and she puts her hands out then, but the roll sort of makes her arms in the position anyway.

She has retained reflexes therapy so wondered as I think it's a reflex this should help? Does anyone have any experience of this?

I just wondered if anyone had any tips, I don't want to have to walk every step with her and catch her as she falls, she needs to have a little more independance than this.

slowburner Sun 17-Jul-11 20:18:29

My daughter is a lot younger (one) but i used to sit her on my knees or on a wobbly cushion and wobble it from side to side so she would put out her arms, could you go back to learning to how to 'save' from sitting and gradually build up to when standing?
I am dyslexic, and as a child injured myself on many occasions when I would fall over my own feet or misjudge steps and never seemed to get my arms out in tie, my lower arms were bruised and cut a lot, in time I did become steadier. HTH.

mumgoingcrazy Sun 17-Jul-11 20:28:54

Thank you slowburner. That's a good idea, we have a balance board so I could sit her on that and rock it. DD2 has vestibular issues so anything that challenges this makes her quite anxious. Definately worth a go though.

Thanks

slowburner Sun 17-Jul-11 20:41:55

skateboard? Its a bit wobbly, but not too far to fall? Also how about some off peak time at a soft play centre, lots of falling practice but gentle landings.

(I know someone who taught their child to crawl using a skateboard to take the weight of the body - ace idea)

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 20:54:29

Try getting this book here Lots of pictures to demonstrate exercises so very easy to get them right - picture paints a thousand words etc grin

There is a section in it about 'saving mechanisms' and it gives exercises to aid them. It also goes into a lot of the motor stuff. The title is scary, but it is one of the most reassuring books we have. Its also for motor/movement disorders so I guess this covers dyspraxia.

slowburner Sun 17-Jul-11 21:24:07

I have that book sneezecakesmum - its v v good

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 21:27:16

Its brilliant!!
xx

1980Sport Sun 17-Jul-11 21:37:45

Hi - reading with interest. My DS has the same problem he's 2.6 and not mobile but sitting if he falls he won't put his hands out at all. He is really funny about his arms/hands being touched and hates them being put into position. He won't hold onto the front of a swing for example.

Sneezecakesmum - can you post the title of the book, the link doesn't seem to be working for me, thanks!

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 21:50:00

Teaching motor skills to children with cerebral palsy and similar movement disorders! by siegelinde martin. £10. 54 on amazon free delivery

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 21:50:38

Our physio bought this book for her department, she was so impressed with it!

1980Sport Sun 17-Jul-11 21:51:56

Got it! Sorry my phone not working properly! You recommended that before sneeze and I had it on my amazon wishlist but I ordered it now before I forget again! Look forward to getting it!

1980Sport Sun 17-Jul-11 21:53:47

Cross posts - thanks! Hope DGS is eating well for you!

Galena Sun 17-Jul-11 21:55:35

At our CDC we kneel the children between our knees, facing away from us, and sing Humpty Dumpty. On 'Humpty Dumpty had a great FALL' encourage the child to drop onto all fours (saving reflex). Start off providing some support so they don't crash down face first, but DD (2.3 and mild CP) has been doing it all on her own (and from standing too) for the past year or so...

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 21:59:03

1980 - He has stopped snotting and puking now so hope all this food fest bears fruit (or fat) grin

Galena Sun 17-Jul-11 22:00:01

(Have ordered a copy of the book, too...)

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 22:01:21

Galena - it has a similar exercise to the one you describe - but with pictures so easy to see exactly what to do!

Galena Sun 17-Jul-11 22:13:24

smile Maybe our CDC has read it!

1980Sport Sun 17-Jul-11 22:19:34

Yes hopefully you'll see some added lbs Sneeze!

Galena - that sounds like a great exercise, most of our physio is focussed on getting DS standing and strengthening his pelvis but the lack of saving reflex has always been a big concern of mine. DS can sit very well unaided but I'd never set him on a tiled floor for example as I'd worry something/someone would knock into him as he'd just fall onto his face or the back of his head.

mumgoingcrazy Mon 18-Jul-11 19:31:09

Thank you for all your responses. Some great ideas here.

That book looks excellent, I've ordered it!! Thank you for that sneezecake.

Galena, the humpty dumpty idea is definately worth a try, I think she'd enjoy it actually. She certainly likes doing humpty dumpty fell off a wall into the pool so worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now