Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Experiences of Aiming High?

(9 Posts)
LeninGrad Sun 17-Jul-11 18:18:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

signandsmile Sun 17-Jul-11 18:31:50

Yep, been brill for us, ds has a worker for one to one in children's group at church, (otherwise we had to stay with him.) He also gets funding to access the lunch group at pre-school once a week. (I pay for the extra hour like all the other mums and they pay for the extra hour of his one to one worker.) They have also funded lots of groups locally, (SN trampolining during the hols) and have published a newsletter (which has been really useful) detailing all the groups/sessions/activities that are available.

LeninGrad Sun 17-Jul-11 18:35:33

r3dh3d Sun 17-Jul-11 18:53:56

The issue I've found with it is that it leads to services which are "excellent in parts". Our LA fund a lot of schemes via Aiming High (and whatever its' successor is now called which escapes me) and the up side is they are often charity/volunteer staffed and the providers are both very committed and great value for money so the quality of service can be very high. The issue is that these small organisations often can't weather the vagaries of LA funding: they become dependant on AH funds and then when a budget review freezes it for 6 months they have to cancel services. And they tend to cover small areas, meaning that services are varied across the county and some better publicised than others. So while the council is saying to itself: "oh it's OK, we've bunged thousands in Aiming High this year, we don't need to do much ourselves" there are families who don't find out about these schemes or can't access them for whatever reason and who then can't get direct support. So good but erratic, I'd say.

hannahsmummsy Sun 17-Jul-11 23:24:13

is that as every child an oppurtunity, my dd got some lesiure vouchers through her school

LeninGrad Mon 18-Jul-11 13:26:07

LeninGrad Wed 20-Jul-11 10:36:26

Chundle Wed 20-Jul-11 12:19:23

Is this the same as Fair Access to Carers Breaks? If so then my dd2 has an allocation of 3 hours a month (35 a year) for an enabler to look after her whilst we go out or to take her out somewhere when we do things with dd1. Funding has been cut drastically in our area though!

LeninGrad Wed 20-Jul-11 13:22:16

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now