Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
The DfE's Teachers' Standards(1 Post)
from a Sencoforum contributor
"The DfE's Teachers' Standards review group has published new Standards for Teachers. You probably know that the government wishes to simplify and clarify the current standards framework. They are due to be implemented from September 2012.
The new standards (x 8) will apply to all teachers and replace current QTS and Core professional standards. All of the standards are, or should be relevant to SEN."
Standard 5 refers to SEN (+) ....
5 Adapt teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils
* know when and how to differentiate appropriately, using approaches which enable pupils to be taught effectively have a secure understanding of how a range of factors can inhibit
* pupils' ability to learn, and how best to overcome these demonstrate an awareness of the physical, social and intellectual
* development of children, and know how to adapt teaching to support pupils' education at different stages of development
* have a clear understanding of the needs of all pupils, including those with special educational needs; those of high ability; those with English as an additional language; those with disabilities; and be able to use
* and evaluate distinctive teaching approaches to engage and support them
Standard 6 focuses on behaviour ...
7 Manage behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning
* have clear rules and routines for behaviour in classrooms, and take responsibility for promoting good and courteous behaviour both in
* classrooms and around the school, in accordance with the school's behaviour policy
* have high expectations of behaviour, and establish a framework for discipline with a range of strategies, using praise, sanctions and rewards consistently and fairly
* manage classes effectively, using approaches which are appropriate to
pupils' needs in order to involve and motivate them
* maintain good relationships with pupils, exercise appropriate authority, and act decisively when necessary.
Standard 8 focuses on wider professional responsibilities (e.g. 'knowing how and when to draw on advice and specialist support' and how to 'deploy support staff effectively') and should also be of particular interest to SENCOs.
There appears to have been very little consultation, which could lead to the usual political chaos, and it is our children that suffer.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.