Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone with a cp child that has learned to ski?

(6 Posts)
Jokat Sun 17-Jul-11 14:39:58

Hi there,

I would like to hear from parents whose children have any form of cerebral palsy and have been able to learn to ski, be it in an adapted way or the typical way.
Our daughter will be three in November and has spastic diplegia. She can walk, but can't jump, go up or down a step without holding on to anything and can't run yet. My husband and I are passionate skiers and are hoping that one day we'll be able to share this sport with her. So any stories about children with cp who have been on skis, in whichever way, would be much appreciated!

TheCrunchyside Sun 17-Jul-11 20:30:24

Hiya. Have you tried contacting paraolympics uk. There must be a number of adult and teen skiers with cp and they could provide info on how to get started.

tipsycat Sun 17-Jul-11 22:50:50

Hi. My DS has autism, and was taught to ski by a charity called Disability Snowsport at the Chill Factor in Manchester. I think they also offer services in other parts of the country. They work with all types of disability and I would stongly recommend them. We took him skiing in Austria last year, and he was able to keep up with all the other (non disabled) children.

Good luck!!!

HairyMaclary Mon 18-Jul-11 10:20:27

There is a MNetter on here, madwomanintheattic who has a DD with CP who has learnt (or is learning) to ski. They live in Canada so skiing anyway is more common there! If you keep this thread bumped she will probably see it.

Jokat Tue 19-Jul-11 08:46:21

tipsycat thank you very much for the advice, got in touch and they were very helpful!
Any more stories welcome smile

isw Tue 19-Jul-11 14:50:58

Sorry its only in Spanish but if you email them in English they will send you the information through

www.sierranevadaescuela.com/pagina.php?id=21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now