Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If your child bites someone outside of the family...

(5 Posts)
MommyUpNorth Sun 17-Jul-11 08:21:03

what happens? After our incident the other day where ds bit a dog, I'm just wondering what if that was another child? He's nearly got to an adult a couple of times, but I've managed to pull him in before his teeth got near.

It's not like he's a walking terror looking out to bite other people... but we haven't worked out absolutely everything that sets him off, and if he's at the playground we're right next to him walking along things... if he's walking along a climbing bridge and we're on the ground - we wouldn't be able to grab him so easily.

I suppose I'm saying that we take very reasonable precautions but certainly cannot prevent every incident now that he's getting bigger. If somewhere in the law it states that he shouldn't be out unless I can keep him under control at all times where would I find out about it?

This sounds a bit crude, but I am genuinely worried if he were to bite another person as he will just latch on and remain firmly gripped on for a few minutes! He will draw blood and it most definitely will leave a large bruise!

willowthecat Sun 17-Jul-11 08:47:16

I think you should raise the issue with your social worker ( if you have one). I think reasonable care is all that can be expected. If you are in Scotland (not sure how far north you are) then there is unlikely to be any statutory provision or written law to look at as this area is covered by common law and so you would need to talk it through with a lawyer with experience of how law is applied.

MommyUpNorth Sun 17-Jul-11 09:19:31

Thanks very much willowthecat. Yes, we are in Scotland, and I'll bring it up with my SW when he's back from holiday next week.

ArthurPewty Mon 18-Jul-11 10:32:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MommyUpNorth Tue 19-Jul-11 15:13:34

Thanks Leonie... I hover loads as well, but it's a fine line between being ready to grab & letting him impulsively just grab something as any other child would do. I never feel like I can relax for even a second when we're out and about, but I suppose that's just part of the ds package!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now