Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I have thought it in my mind, so obviously you must know

(16 Posts)
bedheadz Sat 16-Jul-11 11:02:17

Does anybody elses dc children do this?

ds, frustrated voice "where is my drink?"
me "you haven't asked"
ds "I have"

He keeps on doing this, i am sat in the same room and know 100% he hasn't asked for anything.

He does it about other things, he will draw a board game and expect me to know certain rules even though he hasn't told me. He wil get frustrated when I don't follow the rules he has in his head but hasn't shared.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 16-Jul-11 11:54:18

It's that 'theory of mind' thing. Yes, my DS is similar, if not so blatant. He starts talking to you about something that he's been thinking about and expects you to know the context. I have to keep asking, "What's the subject?"

coff33pot Sat 16-Jul-11 12:11:54

Yes DS does this all the time. Especially with games. His sister is forever frustrated when he yells no that is not how it goes and has a full on tantrum. The idea is still in his head only. Also he had a major abscess come up inside his mouth during the course of one day. It must have been horrendously painful. Then all of a sudden at the end of the day he started rolling about and screaming that his mouth hurt and why havent I given him any medicine yet he yelled he has been waiting for ages! I had no idea he was in any pain or ill at all.

lisad123 Sat 16-Jul-11 12:16:20

yes, dd1 who has HFA, does this alot, it drives me mad

metimenow Sat 16-Jul-11 14:59:45

My ds will come home from school bothered about something when I ask what is upsetting him he will say you know. I have to explain as I wasnt at school with him I dont know. He thinks I should know even before he tells me.

AtYourCervix Sat 16-Jul-11 15:03:23

never mind the DDs doing it. DH is a bloody master. Drives me nuts when he suddenly announces something he 'told me about earlier'.

signandsmile Sat 16-Jul-11 17:59:26

my dh too.... he plans it all out in his head and then springs it on me and is grumpy if it turns out we can't do that, and I have to remind him he never said he wanted to do that/go there.... argh angry

moosemama Sat 16-Jul-11 21:04:16

Oh yes, ds1 (AS) does this all the time.

At dinner this evening he finished eating and said "where's the pudding?', obviously we said 'what pudding?' then he said "we're having pudding tonight", me: "no we're not" ds: "yes we are" - you get the gist. Turns out he'd decided he wanted a pudding this evening and just assumed we knew without him telling us. Inevitably there was then a huge tantrum because we did know, he had asked earlier and we still hadn't made any pudding. hmm

He also does what Ellen's ds does and invariably seems to start a conversation in the middle with no frame of reference, so you have absolutely no clue what he's talking about. Then he gets really cross because you don't understand what he's on about.

Its really annoys me when he knows he needs to take something in or do something for school on a certain day, but fails to actually tell me then blames me because I knew but didn't remind him. confused

mumslife Sat 16-Jul-11 23:04:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedalife Sun 17-Jul-11 18:10:20

Dd3 also does this, particularly starting to talk about something random, thinking that everyone knows what she is talking about.

It leads to lots of issues with her older siblings and is the thing that gets her called "wierd" the most in our house.

Peaceflower Sun 17-Jul-11 19:05:46

Yup, my dd does this too, and when I tell her "you only thought it, you didn't share it", she says "mum, I did tell you, but you never listen" shock

drivemecrazy63 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:56:54

ds does it a lot but my dh is AS and sons ASD but you know what im starting to do it now blush i think ive so many things going on all at once my minds running ahead of itself.

drivemecrazy63 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:58:29

yes dh and ds say that to me "oh for god sake mum do listen" shock so im not going deaf or forgetfull ...they had me thinking

TheOriginalFAB Sun 17-Jul-11 19:58:51

I do this with my DH.

greatescape Sun 17-Jul-11 21:48:18

My ds got out of bed in the night came to my room screamed kicked the door threw things on the floor. I asked what was wrong you know whats wrong he said. I explained he hadnt told me. It hurts he said. What hurts ? you know why are you being stupid. I have to explain agian you havent told me were it hurts. He looks at me like hes told me a thousand times and says my throat its my throat you should know. Finally I can deal with sore throat and peace is restored.

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 21:57:23

Probably nothing whatsoever to do with this invisible conversation but I heard this somewhere.

Children under the age 3 cannot lie because they think everybody is thinking the same thing as them - hence no point in lying!

At 4 they know they are separate beings and can lie because you wont know they are lying.

Really fascinating experiment done to prove this. Perhaps DS is stuck in this pre-lying stage for this part of his development, though he has moved on in others?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now