Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can I just ask - how to tell if your child "qualifies"; to have a statement?

(5 Posts)
herdiegirl Fri 15-Jul-11 21:45:43

I really don't understand this. I have relatively recently had a mtg with the senco. During this meeting, I asked if DS would benefit from being statemented. She said that this is very diff to get (only 2 or 3 in the whole school) and that DS was too bright to qualify.

DS's TA described DS as very bright, but infuriating because he doesn't deliver.

This week we had parents evening and got DS's first SAT results (yr2). Not sure what levels to expect as DS has diagnosis of AS, but he mainly got 2c or 2 across the board except for writing which he was awareded 1. His teacher commented that his work is much better if she or a TA is hovering as he likes a lot of encouragement etc and this keeps him focused, she also mentioned that by choice DS liked to sit near that teacher.

I mentioned to his teacher that it sounds like he'd benefit from having a one to one for some of the day. (Ds is reluctant to even come to the table if he isn't interested in what they are doing). She replied, yes he would but it is very hard to get. I am prob feeling a lot more pressure as DS seems to have been in a very high achieving class as they had a much higher than average number of children attaining level 3s.

I just want to help my DS as much as poss.

Agnesdipesto Fri 15-Jul-11 22:05:41

Look at SEN Code of Practice - you can download it but also send off for the free hard copy as its easier to find stuff in the book version - and useful for taking to meetings!
Progress is individual so should be what is appropriate progress for each child according to their starting point and ability level.
Its also not just academic results, but social and emotional development etc
If your DS is bright then I would say 1's and 2C's were below what his IQ level is, as the brighter kids tend to get 2A or 3's. So there is a barrier to learning and his fulfilling his potential somewhere. Which may or may not be something which can be overcome.
There is also an expectation that a child make 2 levels of progress per key stage - so what was his level last year? or at start of Year 1? Has he made 2 levels progress since then?
They should chart progress and the idea is that a child will usually follow a curve according to their ability on starting school - ie there is a predictable pattern of progress. If your child falls off that curve then that is a clear need.
Ask whether they took any data before the SATS this year
You can apply for a statement. It does not matter how bright he is if progress is not appropriate.
You may not get one, but even if you don't it will shine scrutiny on what school are doing and may lead to some 1:1.
Does he have an ed psych?
usually the school is given money by the LA to pay for 1:1
If the school are not going to volunteer to put this in then you need to get an EP or outreach team involved to tell the school to do it.
Here schools are expected to put in 20 hours a week from money delegated for sen direct to the school and only children with needs above 20 hours get statements
so he could and should be receiving 1:1 at action plus
Most likely the school are just using the money elsewhere.
If they really won't agree you can FOI them for details of their sen budget and how it is spent.
But I would just apply for statutory assessment yourself (see IPSEA model letter). Even if you do not get / need a statement you may get a note in lieu which means they set out what the school have to do, then if the school does not do it you can reapply. And hopefully you will get an EP visit. You can self refer to EP but they tend to have set days when they visit each school.

utah Fri 15-Jul-11 22:24:03

While exploring the statement process also do some checking on what the sen budgets are for your area regarding the schools own SEN budget and why they are not funding for your Ds to get help internally. For me you have nothing to lose requesting a statement (apart from stress and heartache) but you show the school intent that you want help for your son and are going to get it one way or another. the question should be for the senco is if my son works better with help what are you going to do to provide that help in a consistent and fair manner. Schools tend to hide behind the LEA using them as the bad guys when actually they could do more and if they cannot do more then it should be them requesting the statement.

herdiegirl Fri 15-Jul-11 22:42:31

Thanks for your replies. I am [shocked] that the school is awarded more money for him to have 1:1. He is on school action plus so that would probably be the case.

I suppose to be fair to the school, he does get social skills lessons - but this is for about 30 mins a week! I will be digging out his IEP and getting the info above.

It makes me cross that after you get a diagnosis no-one sits you down and tells you what your child is entitled to or how the system works. I go to our local NAS meetings and it's shocking how little knowledge parents are given. I probably would not have known I could claim DLA if it had not been for this board.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 16-Jul-11 08:53:08

herdiegirl,

If I had £1 for every time I had read similar to what you have been told I would be quite wealthy by now. You have been spun a line that is too often trotted out by these people. It is also not up to the SENCO (who sounds unhelpful at the very least) to say whether he qualifies or otherwise for a statement; the LEA do that and if you personally apply you can appeal in the event they say no.

You are your child's best - and only - advocate here. You truly are the best person to help him.

Y3 to Y6 in Junior school is a very different ball game to Infants. Apart from more pressure on the academic side of things, there's also the unwritten social side to deal with. I note your son has received a diagnosis of AS; I would certainly be applying for a statement for him now from the LEA and ignore the naysayers.

You need to think longer term as well; sooner rather than later now your son will be off to secondary school. AS and secondary school, particularly if the child remains unsupported, can be a recipe for disaster.

Look at IPSEA's website and get that letter sent off asap www.ipsea.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now