Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Aspergers and ODD

(22 Posts)
Suzza Thu 14-Jul-11 23:31:05

My son has recently been diagnosed with AS and now there is talk of ODD and poss ADHD. I am trying to work out strategies to combine for both. But I know what you do for one doesnt work for the other!

Does anyone know about this and have the same situation, so they can help me.

Thanks.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 14-Jul-11 23:36:01

Suzza,

DS1 is 12 he also has AS and ODD. He is bloody hard work at times as these 2 things work against eachother.
AS loving regimes and ODD being against it.

I may not be a great help but any questions feel free to ask and I will answer as best as I can.

Suzza Fri 15-Jul-11 21:06:54

Hi LadyEvenStar,
Thanks for responding. What works well for your son?

Can I ask how old was he when you got the DX and how long did it take to get the DX for the ODD? who did it?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure it all out.

suzza

TheLadyEvenstar Sat 16-Jul-11 11:45:18

Suzza

ODD - dx at 9yrs and again at 11yrs.
AS - dx at 12.5yrs.

DS1 will turn 13 on the 29th so it is a very late dx.

The first dx of ODD was from the child psychology dept at local hospital and the second by CAMHS. AS was dx by the social communications team.

I have to be honest I am not sure what works as the 2 can be very hard to deal with together.

I have an appt on Tuesday with a Dr in the SCT and they are then going to give me strategies to put in place with DS. I am happy to share them with you when I get ideas. As I know how difficult it can be.

Claw3 Sat 16-Jul-11 11:52:27

Hi Suzza, it depends on what the difficult is. Im sure if you post what you are having problems with, someone will be able to give some strategies to try,

Suzza Mon 18-Jul-11 21:38:57

LadyEvenStar,
Thanks for your info. Did it take a long time to get the appoinment for the Child psychologist?, I hear it takes an age and a good fight (like everything now!) to get to see one!
What is the SCT?
That would be great any info would help right now as I am rarely pulling my hair out.

Claw - basically my son is very resistant to following instructions, he ignores me a lot and has his own agenda all the time. He is vicious to his brother in a very dangerous way sometimes I cannot leave them alone for more than a couple of minutes at a time. That is the basics really...

CherryMandrake Mon 18-Jul-11 21:45:23

i am in the process of getting a dx of AS, and also more than likely ODD, and also OCD for dd1 (6) her psych has stated categorically that she does not have ADHD, which i do agree with, but i dont see how he could say it having only met her twice.

LeninGrad Mon 18-Jul-11 22:02:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 18-Jul-11 22:49:57

SCT = social communications team.

As for getting appt with CP, I went to the dr repeatedly until they referred us to them. I think it took a few months tbh.

The end descritption is very similar to how DS1 was when DS2 was younger.

I am a bit all over the place atm so will reply properly tomorrow.

Suzza Mon 18-Jul-11 23:31:56

LeninGrad - I have just read that article god it is scarily spot on for my son! Is it different to ODD or same thing really?? will look more into it thanks so much!

LadyEvenStar - thanks for info that is great. i will keep on at doctor!!

MrsShrekTheThird Mon 18-Jul-11 23:43:19

ds1 is dx with ASD, with much talk by all of us about PDA, which totally sums him up. I think the whole issue's trying the hit and miss til we come up with the right combination for them...soul destroying!! I'm sure it's akin to picking locks or something [madwoman alert]
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

LeninGrad Tue 19-Jul-11 11:02:14

Suzza Tue 19-Jul-11 11:18:53

LeninGrad - you are a star! I cant stop telling everyone today about PDA, it is exactly the correct fitting for my son. I am so happy you posted on here, don't know how else I would have ever come across it!

Thanks so much x

LeninGrad Tue 19-Jul-11 13:05:53

LeninGrad Tue 19-Jul-11 13:10:37

Suzza Tue 19-Jul-11 16:36:18

Lenin - that is all amazing I cant thank you enough. I will spend some time looking through all the links. Cant wait to learn more as it is so relevant and I am now pretty 100% sure it is the correct diagnosis for my son! I feel such a relief and as if I have made some progress at last!

Suzza

LeninGrad Tue 19-Jul-11 16:39:57

Oblomov Tue 19-Jul-11 21:18:04

Hoping I can be of help, OP. Ds1(7) has had a diagnosis, a couple of months ago of AS. But it was suggested by first Paed ODD. Which, by oid he is. But I think ODD is seen as behavioural, i.e bad parenting, whereas AS seems spectrum, more importamt, not the parents fault. I know thats a bit simplistic, but I think I am not the only one to see it that way.

Suzza Wed 20-Jul-11 14:28:17

LeninGrad - that is exactly what is happening to me now! But it is all positive I at least feel I am getting somewhere. Have an app. today to ask for referral to Pead!!

LeninGrad Wed 20-Jul-11 14:45:23

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 20-Jul-11 17:57:22

leningrad "It is quite a rollercoaster." without all the fun of the fair!!

Oblomov Thu 21-Jul-11 13:34:56

Agreed. Remind me, where's the fun bit ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now