Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Good places on the Wirral

(5 Posts)
ChunkyMonkeyMother Thu 14-Jul-11 19:44:26

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this?

I'm working as a carer for 2 lads, 21yr and 23yr old, they both have sn and the youngest is a wheel chair user, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some good/fun activities for us to do, either locally (Wirral/Liverpool/Northwest) or general?

I've been with them for 4 years now and we have figured out that in that time we've done the local zoo 3 times, safari park twice, shopping and cinema more times than we could count and local farm has also been done to death!

They like places with a good cafe nothing to do with our tradition of afternoon tea including massive cream scones and nothing that is too repetitive or boring ... The older lad enjoys swimming and the gym but the younger hates anything like that, in fact he once told me he would rather sit in the pub all day than go swimming (Fair enough, that is what I'd rather do, but Mum does not want us to do this boo hiss

Thanks!

bigbluebus Thu 14-Jul-11 21:35:42

Have you tried the World Museum in Liverpool. Lots of variety there including a Planeterium. Some hands on stuff too, Also has a cafe!!!
Have they tried 10 pin bowling - I think there's one by Cheshire Oaks in Ellesmere Port. Haven't been to that alley but my daughter (SN & wheelchair user) often goes to our local alley with holiday club. They usually have special ramp to roll the ball down if you aren't able enough to bowl it properly and they can put 'bumpers' up in the gutters. Costa/Starbucks nearby for coffee afterwards.
Assume you have been to Blue Planet Aquarium as well as the zoo?
Or what about ice skating. Our local rink allows wheelchair users on the ice (always good to have something to hold on to!!) Assume your nearest rink is Deeside - you would have to check re wheelchair policy there - not taken DD to that one.

TotalChaos Thu 14-Jul-11 22:08:56

Maritime Museum/Slavery Museum at edge of Albert Dock. Has v nice cafe on 4th floor. Mersey Ferries 1 hour cruise? If the lads are into art/crafts the Bluecoat Arts Centre in Central Liverpool has art groups for adults with LDs, think you would have to pre-arrange though. They might like Cheshire Farms if they like ice cream - has a normal cafe, an ice cream cafe and farm animals and is free admission.

ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 15-Jul-11 17:21:14

Oooooooh thanks for the tips on Ice Skating! I'll call Deeside and arrange BigBlue!

As for the ferry or the blue planet I have a bit of a problem with water - I think I'd be the one having to be cared for if we went anywhere near the Blue Planet ha ha

I love the idea of the crafts as well, I have walked past the Bluecoats place a few times, will pop in and see about that!

They went to the ice cream farm recently, without me :-( Gutted, may persuade them to go again ha ha

Thanks veyr much for suggestions, am going to get onto deeside now, it can just be so repetitive wandering round the places that I know of so this is a real help!

bigfatcath Fri 15-Jul-11 17:35:44

The Manchester Science Museum is fantastic, free to get in but a fiver to park.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now