Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

house swaps for hols....

(11 Posts)
signandsmile Thu 14-Jul-11 18:54:00

Had an idea.... (which may be a really naff one).

Does anyone think there is any mileage in investigating house swaps between ourselves?

Just thinking would be lovely knowing you were going somewhere that had a secure garden, a trampoline for bouncing, Mr Tumble DVDs, stair gates, (add in whatever makes a holiday do able for you). Knowing you could ask for photos so you do a social story to prepare. Knowing you can ask for details on what's in the area, when is the soft play quiet, when is local disabled swimming session, which shops don't freak out at meltdowns, (add your own requirements....)

we have always gone in caravan/chalet at cheap times of year, but ds starts school in Sept, and school hols are so expensive.

I am just floating the idea......

Debs75 Thu 14-Jul-11 18:58:22

That does sound a good idea. I would love to get away cheaply but don't feel other people would want ds in their houses. Someone who had a child like ds would understand

1980Sport Thu 14-Jul-11 19:07:37

Sounds fab - not sure anyone would want to visit NI at the moment tho sad - but it's really not as bad as the news reports make out!

zzzzz Thu 14-Jul-11 19:09:33

I don't think my house keeping skills are up to it sad blush

smugtandemfeeder Thu 14-Jul-11 19:16:21

zzzz you can swap with me - my house is worse grin

signandsmile Thu 14-Jul-11 19:22:27

have to say i would be frantically cleaning too, if it did ever happen...! grin. and sport i always fancied Ireland.... not for this summer, but i will ask you next year... my problem is Swindon is the butt of so many jokes people may not be up for it...

sign defensively states we have ancient forest, lush meadows by the river thames, ridgeway walks, cotswold villages, pre-historic monuments all within 45 mins drive, also got 3 major public swimming pools, two multiscreen cinemas, bowling and iceskating and big outlet shopping complex, (and the national railway museum.

So there! grin

Pixel Thu 14-Jul-11 19:35:09

It does sound like a sensible solution to a problem lots of us share, but unfortunately it would probably only work for people who own their own houses. I know my landlord wouldn't allow it for a start.

Bit of a shame because we do in fact have a trampoline and we are near the seaside so would count as a 'desirable resort!

eatyourveg Thu 14-Jul-11 19:41:49

We do it but only between family, we get to go north they get to come south. Not sure I'd want strangers poking around the place and the palaver of having to move all our private stuff (bank statements, passports, savings accounts books etc out.

saltyseadog Sun 17-Jul-11 08:56:00

Sign, Id be interested, but not this year as we have builders in grin.
I think we're just up the road from you though, so a swap with just you wouldn't be terribly exciting grin.

signandsmile Sun 17-Jul-11 18:26:30

grin. I will file you for future interest... Gotta say close isn't such a bad thing, (dh also disabled (PD) , so long distances are more difficult to us.) and you know how it is, a holiday isn't a break it is the same stuff, just in different surroundings! used to go an house sit for friend in bath, (place not tub, grin. which was lovely, and just being an hour farther west meant we could go farther for day trips, IYSWIM,

hope the builders aren't too traumatic.

saltyseadog Sun 17-Jul-11 22:19:39

Aaah, well bear us in mind. And if you ever fancy a coffee then let me know as I think I work where you live smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now