Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I want an ASD Sports day!

(30 Posts)
houseofheave Thu 14-Jul-11 18:24:21

I never want to do regular sports day again. However I would like to propose an ASD sports day where my DS can excel at what he does best.

Heat 1 - The run away in the opposite direction of where you want him to go.

Heat 2 - Squeezing yourself into as small a space as possible. Extra points for refusing to come out despite obvious discomfort.

Heat 3 - The 5 minute jog on the spot with frustration. Howling allowed.

The Grand Final - The "Creative 100 metre Dash" - Run towards the finish line while flapping hands, randomly jumping and arm waving. Style points will be awarded for the most interesting run. Noises are encouraged.

Any more?

AtYourCervix Thu 14-Jul-11 18:29:01

Dd1 would win the 'Who can flatly refuse to take part for longest'. An endurance event. Competitors would be required to wear thier hoody with hood up and keep arms tightly crossed for the duration of the race.

although i suspect there'd be some pretty hefty competition.

AtYourCervix Thu 14-Jul-11 18:29:26

bugger not DD2. she's the one that likes sports day. I meant DD2.

AtYourCervix Thu 14-Jul-11 18:29:36

arse.

Calally Thu 14-Jul-11 18:33:07

lol. ds goes to sn school. 1st sports day this year, didnt know what to expect. was the most fun we've had in a long time. they had cars bikes n scooters race, running, egg & spoon ( plastic and superglued on ) and a relay race. teachers and assisstants helping. kids ran, laughed, stopped started, ran to there parents, sat down etc. and not a cross word was said. yes us parents were at the finish line cheering all are dc's on. there was no competitiveness or bitchiness. just everyone having fun. the kids all got certificates and medals for competing. and the school made them t shirts with their names printed on. all the kids and parents thorughly enjoyed themselves. ds has sld, most of the kids have asd, gdd, sld, downs syndrome.

signandsmile Thu 14-Jul-11 18:33:50

can we have a 'how many times can you open and close doors in one minute' event too?

and maybe a 'whats the insignificant smallest speck you can concentrate on'?
grin

Calally Thu 14-Jul-11 18:39:53

who can scream the loudest and the longest. ds would do really well in that. who can cause the most destruction in a min.

houseofheave Thu 14-Jul-11 18:40:39

Calally - I am envy at your sports day. Very envy.

All of these are very good ideas.

grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 14-Jul-11 18:50:08

How about a 'jumping up and down with excitement' event with points awarded for enthusiasm. DS is 11.. grin

Very timely thread. It's DS's last primary sports day tomorrow.

Calally Thu 14-Jul-11 18:51:32

it was all about the taking part, which was great, and you could see the enjoyment on the kids faces. ds was flying in the scooter race, and stopped just before the finish line, to see where everyone else was, and finished last lol. no 1 said a word about it, but if it had been mainstream, im sure there would have been plenty of comments, n would never have lived it down.

houseofheave Thu 14-Jul-11 22:34:35

Hmm, I think I may have to separate the events into track and field.

Enthusiastic refusal to participate, staring, squeezing into small spaces and door closing can happen in the field, as it were.

Jumping up and down with excitement or frustration can be combined into a larger event along side the running races.

Any cups, rosettes or other rewards must be chewable.

bedheadz Fri 15-Jul-11 09:34:59

Love the running in the opposite direction ds would do great at that one.

coff33pot Fri 15-Jul-11 11:01:07

Sounds like a great sports day brewing! grin

I would like a how to eat a bowl of soup and a roll whilst sitting in the middle of the floor completely covered in a duvet without spilling a drop!

Oh and competitors are given a piece of perspex (or maybe the local double glazing co. can supply example windows) and have to cover it with mum or dads toothpaste in 35 seconds flat without leaving a clear spot! grin

chuckeyegg Fri 15-Jul-11 11:22:11

This has made me laugh!

chuckeyegg Fri 15-Jul-11 11:29:33

Got a good track event running along holding a cd or anything shiny to your eyes watching behind you.

coppertop Fri 15-Jul-11 11:43:35

I'd add the "100m strip race" - the dressing-up race in reverse where children angrily throw their clothes and shoes as they run. Extra points awarded if a child manages to hit an unwary spectator with a shoe.

The "What's the logic behind running from end of the track to the other on a hot day for no particular reason?" race. Competitors must stop to sigh and shrug after every few steps. Bonus points for eye-rolling.

houseofheave Fri 15-Jul-11 12:28:19

These are all such brilliant ideas!

Coff33pot - I am pretty sure that most events could have a "whist under a duvet / blanket" alternative race.

Do we want to take points away for those who finish the races and award points instead for the most dramatic refusal to carry on?

DS would have won this twice on his real sports day blush.

chuckeyegg Fri 15-Jul-11 12:51:40

At our sportsday DS prefered the race going on next to his race, so abandoned our race to join in theirs and still didn't finish! grin

Love the idea of 100m strip race!

LeninGrad Fri 15-Jul-11 12:53:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coff33pot Fri 15-Jul-11 12:54:46

Good idea! Because in that case the fact that my DS got to the starting line and then decided there were indians hidden in the hedges that had to be investigated first and poked out with sticks would have given him top marks! grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 15-Jul-11 14:38:24

Can we have a 'cheating outrageously and being allowed to get away with it,' competition? My DS would have won that today!

Ineedalife Fri 15-Jul-11 14:54:25

Can we have a lining up the teddies round the bed in size order race too.

Oh but it must only be done way past bedtime after mum/dad have been upstairs 10 times to tell you to go to sleep.grin

Ineedalife Fri 15-Jul-11 14:55:43

Am loving the cheating outrageously competition. grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 15-Jul-11 15:01:14

grin

Ooh, a lining things up competition, good idea. We might have to extend it to items of DC's choice, though.

houseofheave Fri 15-Jul-11 16:15:11

I can see lining things up being a very popular sport. We may have to run heats.

I can just see them all like professional athletes, walking onto the track with their large holdalls.

<now all of these, top, top, athletes are getting ready for the line up. We're just waiting for starters orders now......well some are......>

On your marks....get set....Go!

Lightening McQueen
Chick Hicks
Big "The King"
Little "The King"

<oh no and DSheave has forgotten to put the large combine harvester first and he's having to start again from the beginning>

Frank the Combine Harvester
Lightening McQueen

<Oh, now whats this? DSheave has spotted that someone else has almost finished lining up their teddies and.....no>

<and he's kicked the teddies, yes, the teddies have gone>

Its OK folks, both children were entered into the "frustrated howling" competition and this is being classed as their entry...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now