Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

addressing limited diet....ideas

(13 Posts)
zzzzz Thu 14-Jul-11 10:03:20

I am getting very bored with ds's limited diet. I do feel like I am an enabler in his VERY fussy eating and have decided that I am going to have a good go at adding some food types to his repertoire this summer.

He actually eats all food groups and many different textures/flavours, he is just very particular about what it is he eats [i.e. a spag bol is ok but lasagne wouldn't be tolerated and shepherds pie obviously has potatoes so is impossible hmm ].

When he was younger and less verbal [Language disorder/delay] we played a game of sniffing different spices and naming them. He was brilliant at it and soon learnt the spice rack by smell alone. At the time it was purely to focus on his vocab, I wanted to see if I could teach him something that I knew had not been touched on and how difficult it was for him. When he is eating I will often let him just sniff, or just lick something that is offensive and so I am mulling over a game/activity that we could play daily to help him try more things.

Anyway after that little essay. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/experience? Does anyone want to try with me?

My thoughts as always are still jumbled, but I was thinking along these lines.

Identifying 5 things I know he likes, 5 things I think he would like if he tried them, and 5 things that I would like him to like.

Creating some sort of board/chart with column for each food and levels going up from touched, sniffed, licked, put in mouth, chewed, swallowed, ate a second piece.

Having lots of little bowls of food and taking turns trying to do all the things each morning at snack time....

Perhaps it would be better to start with 3 things because it looks like it will get too big/long. Different coloured counters for my different children/me so he is playing with someone. Perhaps a prize if he can get all his counters to the top.

What do you think? I am home alone with all the kids so can't start till next week as it will take a trip to the shops and I am outnumbered to the extent that I only really go shopping if know exactly what I want.

CherryMandrake Thu 14-Jul-11 13:13:28

well i think first you need to identify 5 foods that he likes. then choose 5 foods that are similar but not quite the same as those, and then maybe 5 foods he has never seen before.

Agnesdipesto Thu 14-Jul-11 13:54:04

We did it by something similar texture etc to something already ate - introduce one new food at a time - and used another very preferred food eg chocolate as reward. Then used imitation eg touch the new food - get bit of chocolate - lick the new food - get piece of chocolate - touch tongue with new food etc etc Don't get cross if he doesn't do it (food is such a stressful issue for parents!) - just take the reward food away

If think just playing you by just licking it etc and really is ok with it then you could go straight to eating it - but very small amount to start. You can make it very clear eg 2 bowls one with a tiny bit of new food and one with bit of reward food

You can start with 2 foods you know he will eat one more preferred than the other eg eat ok food then get preferred food to teach the expectation and then move to the less preferred foods.

Also generalise with different people DS will eat the new foods but only for certain people GRRR!!! So still working on that.

bedheadz Thu 14-Jul-11 13:57:03

Bookmarked, will watch this thread in hope.

I have given up gotten slack with trying to increase variety in ds diet.

Quantity fine, quality is shocking. He eats a totally different diet to the rest of the family would love some really good ideas. i like your idea of a visual board. I have tried rewarding him with marbles (swaps for money monthly) to lick new foods.

Fruit and veg are a total no no, have tried making fruit kebabs, bananas dipped in melted choc. I don't like to really push him because I got him to eat mash and he heaved and promptly vomited everywhere.

Claw3 Thu 14-Jul-11 14:50:52

Ds has an extremely limited diet, he eats bread, chocolate spread, cheerios (no milk), chips, apple, grapes and vanilla ice cream, thats it and all that he has eaten since he was a baby and its a struggle to get him to eat that.

Have been given various ideas by various experts, but none have worked for us, might be worth a try though.

OT suggested something similar to your idea, a food i will look at, a food i will smell, a food i will touch, a food i will eat. Gradually moving through the stages until the food is eaten.

Also motivation, ds is not motivated by food, so offering food alone is not enough to get him to want to do it. Rewards.

Too much choice is also a problem for ds, so perhaps 5 new foods might be a bit much.

Sharing food is a good idea and worth a try too.

Will let you know if i think of anything else, have tried so many over the years.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Thu 14-Jul-11 15:00:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Amazon UK link here Thanks Justa

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Thu 14-Jul-11 15:14:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Thu 14-Jul-11 15:23:30

Justa will look at link, ds going bananas so have to run....nice to hear we are not alone! SO bored of cooking seperate stuff for that little man and so tired of the comments from my Mother.....

Claw3 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:52:14

Thanks have just ordered the book, anything is worth a try.

Ds will try a tiny bit of a new food, just to please me, but one try is all we ever get, so his diet never expands. He seems to favour trying green food, spinach, brocolli (uncooked) and cucumber so far, but one taste and he wont touch it again.

He also decided aged 3 years old that he was never going to eat 'dead animals'. He is now 7 years old and still refuses to eat meat.

bedheadz Thu 14-Jul-11 16:25:30

Will try ordering the book form library first.

@claw3 my ds is the opposite he says he is a carnivore not an omnivore, although his meat eating extends to chicken nuggets (he tried roast chicken once loved it but has refused ever since)

Claw3 Thu 14-Jul-11 16:51:09

LOL@ carnivore, ds announces whenever we eat 'im vegetarian' almost in a panic in case he is asked to eat meat!

Ds is the same, when he tried the green veg, he makes all the appropriate hmm that was nice noises, but then if you ask him to take another bite 'no thanks'!

zzzzz Thu 14-Jul-11 17:20:06

I'm going to buy it. Feeling strangely enthusiastic about tackling his food issues. ds actually eats lots of things, but he only eats those things, so though I don't worry too much about his nutrition....it would be fabulous to only make one meal for everyone and it would be great not to worry when we are out.

bedheadz
I wonder if the carnivore would eat soya meat? Not much of a difference I now, but perhaps if he managed it you could use it as a first step. For example, If you can eat soya meat it is not that much different to eat a butter bean? If you could eat a butter bean, could you eat a green bean? Or a pea? shock grin

claw3
Not sure if I can think of a meaty vegetable to go the other way....but perhaps soya meat is the half way house for you both....grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now