Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sept 10 school starters, we've made it through the year!

(6 Posts)
TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 14-Jul-11 09:43:53

following on from our lovely school starters thread this time last year, just wondering how every one has got on this year smile

I'm glad it's almost over, dd3 has had a good year, she's been happy and enjoyed the year with a good 1:1 but school have admitted defeat as she's made no progress so she's off to ss in september, I can't wait! School has been hard work for me, they just haven't really listened and haven't put simple little things in place that could have made a difference. Dd3 has a settling in session on monday at her new school, I'm really looking forward to it!

rebl Thu 14-Jul-11 10:20:24

Ninja Glad that dd has had a good year. Typical really that a ms hasn't put in the effort to little things that would have made the difference. I hope she settles well in her new school.

Our year has been a rocky one. DS started at the local village school and it was beyond crap (not just for SN but NT children as well). His behaviour deteriorated at home and school and school didn't support in anyway. We moved him to a school in the next village at Feb half-term and he's much happier there. He's doing great in the classroom but struggles in the playground. His behaviour at home did improve but has deterioated again in the last few weeks. School now openly say that they suspect he's on the spectrum and we're all waiting on CAMHS to finish their assessment of him and see what they say. They have already said he's socially and emotionally delayed. School are as we speak trying to work out a stop gap means of helping him in the playground just to get him through to the end of term. His overall attendance is poor but its improving with the schools support.

On the whole we now have a ds who most of the time voluntarily walks into school and is comfortable in the classroom. That is what I'm most proud of from him this year. Only a few months ago we were beginning to think that that would never be possible.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 14-Jul-11 14:20:22

you did well to get ds out of that school rebl, how's dd doing? Hope camhs are fit and healthy again soon so you can get hold of that report, they seem to be dragging things out a bit!

bdaonion Thu 14-Jul-11 14:39:00

Hard to believe the year is almost over! Time flies when your life is controlled by the school terms. Glad to hear everyone is making progress, despite some rocky starts. Good luck to your DDin her new school Ninja, and I hope the school continues to support your DS next year rebl, at least they have now acknowledged his needs.

All in all DD has had a good year. She settled in nicely to our local mainstream and made a nice group of friends. She was making some progress but it was obvious that her anxiety levels were high because she developed a nasty habit of biting her nails and gnawing on her fingers, and could be a complete nightmare when she got home. SENCO (also HT) was...unreliable...uninterested...unresponsive, despite having awareness of DD's language difficulties before she entered school, and didn't even submit evidence to the LA to support (or not!) our SA application, despite repeated requests from the LA SEN dept and me! angry Anyway, long story short, due a supportive SALT team, we were fortunate enough to be offered a place at the local language resource and DD changed schools at Easter. The change in her general demeanour has been brilliant and she now has a full set of nails again grin grin

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 15-Jul-11 13:36:14

glad she's settled now bda, what a rough start we've all had though, as rebl said, it's the small things that can make the difference.

blueShark Fri 15-Jul-11 16:34:34

happy to hear there is mostly happy ending to each rocky start!

DS has done so well this year, progressed in all areas academically, speech and language, OT and sensory issues.....

The child that was so hyperactive and I was dreading he will be never able to sit down and attend to circle time and other sitting down activities can now even retell a story with verbal and non verbal language. And happily attends to all activities in school.

Well done to your DC Ninja, rebl and onion....wine and brew, we have survived the most challenging year and I hope next year we celebrate even more success. En extra hug for your DC grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: