Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Holiday with ASD ds and family

(4 Posts)
fabmum1966 Wed 13-Jul-11 19:23:42

we are going on holiday abroad to a family wedding. Ds has autism and adhd he has been abroad with us and is excellent on the plane but this time grandma, grandad and loads of other relatives will be on the flight. I am worried that they will get him hyper and then his behaviour will get silly. He needs time to chill out on the flight without anyone talking to him which well meaning family wont give him. As we will be spending a lot of time with the family when we get there do you think it would be ok if we sat away from them on the flight ? How would you tell them I would just be honest and tell them outright dh doesnt want to upset them. The thing is we have another trip just the three of us in october so I dont want ds to get into any bad habits on the plane otherwise it makes it hard work it took us years to get him this good on the plane and I dont want it to be spoilt.

metimenow Wed 13-Jul-11 22:36:01

I think thats a good compromise.

zzzzz Wed 13-Jul-11 22:43:29

I would sit in a different part ofthe plane.

herdiegirl Wed 13-Jul-11 23:02:17

If it's not possible to sit in another part of the plane, I would be inclined to be honest with your relatives. My Ds has AS and grandparents etc know about this. If it was me, I would explain that to help everyone enjoy the flight, Ds will need some quiet time.
Not sure how long flight is, but I would take things like book or DS to keep hime occupied. Hope all goes well and that you have a good trip. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now