Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADOS test

(9 Posts)
nappyaddict Tue 12-Jul-11 06:22:52

Was anyone's child given the ADOS test after they received a diagnosis of Autism?

Is there any point of having one if DS already has a diagnosis? He was diagnosed Jan 2010 when he was 3.6

nappyaddict Tue 12-Jul-11 06:33:56

Or the CARS test?

And how do I know if we've done the DISCO or ADI-R? We did a very lengthy interview with the clinical psychologist over 2 looooooong appointments so presumably did one of these but I don't know which one or if it even matters which one?

TooOrangeyForCrows Tue 12-Jul-11 10:31:28

Hi
Yes. My DS (6) saw a Community paediatrician this time last year, who diagnosed him on the strength of one meeting, where he was more interested in the toys, and really didn't like the way she spoke to him. We requested she perform the ADOS test to give us some actual data. It's also a benchmark, should we wish to have him reassessed.

If you accept the diagnosis, and how it was made, then fair enough. The ADOS is a snapshot. Other questionnaires allow you to record observations over a longer period of time, I would think. Some LEAs and healthcare professionals may place more weight on ADOS over ADI-R, and vice-versa.

Write to the Clinical Psychologist and ask them what diagnostic criteria they used.

nappyaddict Tue 12-Jul-11 12:11:13

Would the consultant know as we have an appointment with him this afternoon is it best to just write straight to the psychologist?

nappyaddict Tue 12-Jul-11 12:13:44

Scratch that she has replied to my email quicker than expected (makes a change!)

She wrote:

"During X's assessment I used the ADI-R with you and your mother. As we have the advantage of having children in for 4 mornings a week over 4 weeks we use the direct observations of staff over the period of the assessment rather than the individual session used for an ADOS."

So I'm not sure if I should be pushing for ADOS or CARS as well or not?

IndigoBell Tue 12-Jul-11 12:23:48

NappyAddict - why do you want another test? Do you think he has been given the wrong dx?

nappyaddict Tue 12-Jul-11 12:31:04

Sometimes yes, sometimes no! I suppose I just want to be as close to 100% sure you can be without a definitive genetic test.

IndigoBell Tue 12-Jul-11 14:08:52

I think that way lies madness grin

I think if ASD is a helpful dx for you, school and your son, believe in it. If it's not helpful ignore it. Or even do both - believe in it when you want to and ignore it when you want to.

It's a spectrum condition. Which means it varies tremendously between individuals.

It can only be diagnosed by observing behaviour. So you can never be 100% sure.

It's a label. It's a signpost towards things that might be helpful.

Your son is still very young. He will probably get an awful lot better as he gets older.

But in the mean time do you want him punished at school for being naughty - or do you want school to appreciate that he finds some things harder than other kids.

dolfrog Wed 13-Jul-11 15:07:45

nappyaddict

Have a look at this recent paper from the USA Primary Care for Children with Autism which tries to cover may of the issues and the real seems to be the lack of best information from any ASD diagnostic test, none seem to be able to provide all the required information.
The UK seems to be eventually going for Describing the Brain in Autism in Five Dimensions?Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Assisted Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder Using a Multiparameter Classification Approach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now