Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IPOD touch - would it be good for DS1?

(16 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Mon 11-Jul-11 23:09:18

Its his 13th b'day soon and I have read a lot of people suggest Ipod touches for children with AS.
Can someone please enlighten me on what the benefits are for him please?

brandy77 Mon 11-Jul-11 23:30:34

yes id like to know too smile

silverfrog Mon 11-Jul-11 23:35:31

well, my 2 are a lot younger.

dd1 has had (access to my) ipod touch since she was 3. she now has her own (school provided) ipad. dd2 has also used my ipod since she was 2, and tries to pinch a go on her sisters ipad whenever possible grin

for them, the range of educational apps are great. I obviously don't know a lot about educational uses for older children.

the games are great - angry birds, doodle god etc. sudoku, chess, scrabble - all have fantastic app versions.

of course, it is a music player too. and you can access the internet via wifi (which could be a problem for older childrne, I suppose?) - so all facebook, twitter etc when in wifi range. and email.

if you are considering it, do look at the otterbox range of cases - the defender series is ace. dd1 has one for her ipad, and it is really solid, and adds a lto fo protection.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 11-Jul-11 23:42:26

Silver, thanks for that.

I really don't know what to do now.

He is going to be 13 and as you say the internet connection could be a problem BUT in saying that he has it on his phone anyway.

arghhhhhhhh I guess I need to see what apps are available for his age group.

linbam Mon 11-Jul-11 23:54:13

Hi my ds2 aged 11 has an iphone its invaluble!!! Hes lots of apps which organise ahow him the time reminders of stuff to do he has asd and dyspraxia he has a few games which help calm him when things do not go his way, u can get specific apps in itunes for different special needs altho u do have to look harf for them and they cost..... But all i can say is BUY ONE u wont regret it

nadia77 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:00:36

i was at the autism show in excel and one of the guest speaker who's son is now 21 with autism says i phone is great they uses it for all the reasons above but also helps him to plan his journey from home to uni,cinema, where ever as the mum is able to type up instructions for him he is able to view the photos to make sure he's on right track my ds is 4 asd and uses iphone every now and then for games such as flash cards or just plays piano on there well he cant play just likes to tap the keys as it makes sounds!

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 12-Jul-11 00:03:06

sad I can't afford an iphone thats why I was looking at the ipod touch. Are they as good? I just bought him a new phone

Agnesdipesto Tue 12-Jul-11 00:05:36

Think someone got an ipad via charity recently on here might have been family fund or cerebra

nadia77 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:09:07

i pod touch is just as good but with out the phone function and internet out of wifi zone but other then that they are the same! i think it doesnt have a camera either, but it is just as good hmmmmmmmmm but maybe iphone 3g? its double the prize of i touch but cheaper then iphone 4!

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 12-Jul-11 00:13:16

Nadia, I can just about stretch to the itouch tbh. I have not saved as hard this year with moving so iphone is def out of price range.

nadia77 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:22:53

ok, i know it's quite tough! i havent even saved anything for dd's birthday! i better start soon, have you considered familyfund like the above post suggests?

catherinea1971 Tue 12-Jul-11 05:39:03

Hi, it's family fund who are now funding ipads. Ds1 4years old (ASD) has been using ipod touch, iphone, ipad since he was 2!! The ipod touch is basically an iphone without the phone!! Most apps work on all devices although there are a few that are ipad only apps.... I woud highly recommend any of these devices. Oh and dd2 (16 months) has been using my iphone and ipad for a few months, under close supervision of course, she loves it too! smile

auntyangst Tue 12-Jul-11 10:45:05

The iPod touch does have a camera - still and video.
My DD is a lot younger but loves my ("her") iPod. We have downloaded some great apps and games to help with her receptive language development, and she has great fun taking pictures. She got a little too skilled on navigating her way around YouTube so I disable that when she is unsupervised. I just got an iPad for my birthday (love it!) but with the plan to use it for more structured educational activities with her. So far so good.

I would say go for it!

Calally Tue 12-Jul-11 15:14:57

im looking into getting an ipad for ds (6 ) they have 1 in school, and he uses it for communication, colouring painting, educational things. he's obsessed with my friends iphone, and she has put some apps on for him. thomas, roary, elmo, and also the free talking animals, which he loves. i no on ds school website, they have a list of the apps they use/ recommend

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 12-Jul-11 19:36:23

Yes, the new iPod does have a camera, as my DS's are always reminding me! They have the older one, of course. It's absolutely fantastic, internet access through your Wifi, really cheap apps, music and you tube, Facebook etc. Even a Mumsnet app! Our only problem has been restricting the time spent on it. DS2 would play on it all day if allowed.

It's so portable, really useful for boring family occasions (boring from DS2's perspective) waiting rooms etc etc. We have an iTunes account that is password protected so they can't download anything without one of us putting the password in. They are not allowed it in their rooms, but, being so small it is harder to monitor what they are doing. I'd say if you can keep a handle on what's being viewed, restrict time on it and have wifi at home, it's great.

joggeroo Wed 13-Jul-11 17:43:37

My son has GDD and uses his iPod touch to communicate with speaking symbols app Proloquotogo, also have iPrompts which is handy for scheduling and choices....I guess for your son, apps that help with scheduling and planning might of use
He's had an iPod touch for about 18 months and loves it. Also have some fun apps, videos and music on it which are great for distraction during periods when he needs to wait and needs distracting.
I keep the wifi turned off when he is using it and so far he doesn't know that it could be used to connect to the internet!
The great thing about it is that it helps him communicate and understand what we are doing, is portable and the sort of thing children his age are itching to have a play with so encourages interaction, for us, it's very handy, versatile cheaper than a traditional communication device.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now