Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Detentions

(12 Posts)
Claw3 Mon 11-Jul-11 16:34:14

Ds is telling me a lot lately, that he is having to miss playtime for various things he has done at playtime.

Does anyone else's child have these and should the school inform me of these?

drivemecrazy63 Mon 11-Jul-11 16:53:47

I think they should even if they dont generally with NT dcs .
My dc had a fair few of these and I wasnt informed often till the evening when dc just happend to metion it, then I would go in the next day to find out and we dont want to drag the subject over to the next day really .
I found often it was staff who didnt even know ds had a communication problem (as no dx at the time) and sometimes he was being punished and the true offender who had hit him tripped him or whatever they didnt notice just saw ds reacting to it and as he isnt a good communicator he wouldnt tell them joe blogs hit me first sad

starfishmummy Mon 11-Jul-11 17:04:02

I usually get told. DS has had some behavioural problems this academic year and we now have a "behaviour" diary, so that his usual diary isn't full of negative stuff.

rebl Mon 11-Jul-11 17:29:45

I always get told.

IndigoBell Mon 11-Jul-11 17:32:06

School wouldn't normally tell you about this.

He may well have only lost 1 or 2 minutes.

Read the school behaviour policy (if it's online) to find out more.

I was really proud when I didn't find out that DS had lost minutes of golden time - previously to this every time he'd lost minutes it had resulted in such negative behaviour from him that I'd been told smile

Claw3 Mon 11-Jul-11 19:13:45

Ds has recently requested NOT to be part of the 'lunch club' after being teased about being a 'baby' (some special needs children sit on one table and are supervised by an adult, they also spend playtime in the nursery, as such a long playtime can be too much and are allowed out into the playground for the last 5 minutes)

School are supposed to be monitoring his behaviour at playtime, to see how well he is coping.

Ds is blantly honest and tells me he has a 'detention' tomorrow for poking a boy with a stick - by accident, hitting another boy and putting a girls pen in his pocket. Things i think i should be informed of?

These things are not like ds at all, he is usually passive to the extreme.

Claw3 Mon 11-Jul-11 19:15:28

Sorry for the drip feed of info!

IndigoBell Mon 11-Jul-11 21:03:28

If they've taken him out of the lunchtime club, then yes I would expect them to check that he can cope with that, and discuss problems with either him (depending on his maturity) or you.

Claw3 Mon 11-Jul-11 22:35:42

Ds has since told me that other boys are telling him to do these things. He knows he should not, but he is worried that if he doesnt they will not want to play with him anymore. Ds desperately wants to fit in.

He came home last week with pinch and scratch marks on his arms, every day for about 4 days which another boy did to him. I informed the school of this, who confirmed that the boy was given a detention.

Claw3 Tue 12-Jul-11 08:01:22

God, i sound precious dont i!

I dont mind ds missing his play for doing these things, i just wish the school would tell me.

sparky12345 Tue 12-Jul-11 10:28:56

yep-im always told about these things
in letters/phone calls/meetings.
actually-im fed up of being toldsmile
i think my dc is going for the guiness book of records!!

Claw3 Tue 12-Jul-11 10:41:36

grin i thought that was usually the case!

Ive just been turned down for a statement, so i think the school are scared to tell me, as i could use this as ammo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now