Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

wrist strap

(9 Posts)
pramsgalore4 Mon 11-Jul-11 12:59:07

hi, wondered if anyone could help, i have a 5 year old with asd and i require a wrist strap that he would struggle to remove, at the moment i have one that just uses a buckle that you thread the strap through really easy to undo, i am desperate to be able to let him walk next to the pushchair and not have him to go into a pushchair.Hes a runner so can not trust him just to hold the pushchair or my hand and has no anger awareness. many thanks grin

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 11-Jul-11 14:28:40

would something like this do the trick? The bags have a chest strap, don't know if he'd be able to undo it though.

pramsgalore4 Mon 11-Jul-11 16:04:08

he's got one, he undoes it without even looking. did have a chest pad off an old pushchair wraped around the clip, which worked for a while but not now. its a nightmere the only way i have been able to go out with him [other than school run which is not far and on very quiet back road] is with dp when he is off work, so only sundays or making him sit in a pushchair/wagon. but he is getting heavy to push around as i have to use doubles as i have dd4 who is only 2.5 years.

Calally Mon 11-Jul-11 16:23:32

something like this www.boots.com/en/BuggyTug-Wrist-Straps_1190865/ , boots also have ordinary wrist straps which i got 4 ds ( 5.5 ) pulled quite tight so he struggles with it.

zzzzz Mon 11-Jul-11 16:40:04

Personally I would bite the bullet and really win this one now. Don't think I don't know where you are coming from [5 in 6 years!], but frankly if you don't address it at 5 what on earth are you going to do at 8?

What I did was have the baby in the buggy, one boy on one side with a loop to hold on too [nt] and the same on the other side for ds1 [sn]. They can put there hands through the loop and don't have to concentrate so much as holding on to the bar.

In hind sight I would get a piece of chain and hook it on the belt ring of my runner and then onto my belt ring. Not to hold him, just as back up. If they are not holding on there handles you just stop.

Go on lots of short trips and build up too it. If you have a complete melt down, the problem goes in the buggy and the baby goes in a baby carrier. The truth is that they have to better behaved than nt kids or kids from small families or kids who get driven everywhere. It sucks but it is true.

signandsmile Mon 11-Jul-11 17:55:44

I made one for my ds, bought a fabric cat collar, (soft so no sensory stuff) with a little "pinch the sides in" catch (IFSWIM), removed catch shortened collar and re-sewed, it cost £1, fitted his wrist, he couldn't remove it and it had a firm D ring atached so I used a light weight dog lead on it, (also £1) it was known as 'the strappy' and he had to put it on when we got out the car. It meant we could practice 'walking by the side' without having me hold onto him, (he would not hold hands), but if he saw something that distracted him he couldn't run off and was so safe. worked brill for us. He moved onto back pack with strap and today (for the first time.) walked to big school and back holding my hand. grin.

signandsmile Mon 11-Jul-11 17:56:41

PS also meant I could 'unclip' him at the play park, he ran round with the wrist bit still on and I clipped lead back on when we left.

pramsgalore4 Mon 11-Jul-11 18:59:45

i have been trying to get him to hold the wrist strap, he does but only for a minute and then runs sometimes i catch him just in time other times he's too quick, he has trouble with following instructions and has proved with me and the school that he does not follow instruction such as stop, although he is better with his teachers than me, but then there are at least 4 adults when they go out. I just don't seem to be winning sad . Have also tryed the stop, start game to teach him to stop when i say, but failed big time with me yelling stop and him running and looking round laughing [yes he thinks everything is funny] if i did not have younger child then i would be able to hold onto him , i will try the cat collar and dog lead, i do agree i do need to get on top of this, i am just really struggling at the moment sad my 2.5 year old holds my hand lovely, did start to copy her brother but nipped that in the bud fast, she knows that if she is out of her pushchair she has to hold my hand. grin

zzzzz Tue 12-Jul-11 01:58:33

Of course your other children hold hands, you sound an extremely competent Mum. Keep slogging on and you will win in the end. I like the cat strap idea. Sometimes it just takes SO much longer with our sn kids, but just keep the faith that you will win and one of these days you will.

To be honest the walking along the road is as big as potty training IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now