Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How many of you have not been able to get you dc's to school due to meltdown?

(5 Posts)
makemineaquadruple Mon 11-Jul-11 08:58:40

Hi everyone!

Long time since I last posted.

I was just wondering how common it is not to be able to get your children(possible asd) out the door for school due to a meltdown. I got my dd in a little late today, but there have been times when I just can't get her there. Not many, but still, this can't happen can it? Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid these ever increasing school run meltdowns. Also, I can't help but feel so angry with her as it's no coincidence that she has one right before I drop her off for school and this makes me feel guilty. However, I know she enjoys testing me and pushing me to my limit. She enjoys school so I know it's nothing to do with that. It took me half an hour to brush herhair this morning and that was spent chasing her from room to room with her screaming at me that I was a terrible person!! I should mention that she's 4 1/2.

Please, I could really do with some mumsnetters advice.

Thanks for reading.

davidsotherhalf Mon 11-Jul-11 09:24:15

going back a few yrs my dd was like this in a morning, i put a list up on fridge and turned everything into a game, sang silly songs about brushing teeth, doing hair, leaving house, walk to school, i had to make everything upbeat,

Chummybud1 Mon 11-Jul-11 09:25:31

Me my son hates school, he has dcdbut is a stickler for routine, if anything goes wrong which could be something as small as a item of clothing round the wrong way, we have melt down. My son gets so stressed out if anything different happens at school, like trips that the will have an asthma attack.

I cope by not caring about the school. Not in a bad way, if melt down begins I stop, put on cartoons, make a cup of tea, phone school and explain we will get there ASAP, I let whole situation diffuse, then try again. To send him to school in a state is not beneficial to him, me or the school, I would much rather he was there happy and late, than on time and stressed.

Marne Mon 11-Jul-11 10:16:13

We had a bad patch after christmas where dd2 had huge meltdowns before school, i kept her home for a day but then had to put my foot down (or she would never go back), i got so upset seeing her so upset so i got dh to help me, we had to cary her into the car (almost pin her down to get her in the car seat) and dh carried her into school crying whilst i stood back (let him do it as i get too upset), we left her crying sad then school phoned as after half an hour to tell us 'she's fine', the next day was easier and the next day she went in without a fuss. We havn't had many problems sinse, we keep to a tight routine in the mornings and we don't use the word 'school' until we are on our way.

Lougle Mon 11-Jul-11 14:04:55

Probably not the answer that sounds 'PC', but hair - I get my knees under DD1's armpits and 'cuddle her' with them, so she can't move, and I can quickly put her hair up. Like this takes 2 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now