Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EP - do the LEA have to have one?

(26 Posts)
farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:48:21

Hi - been trying to get my head round this since Friday and am more confused than ever.

One of the reasons I have been turned down for a SA for ds is that the EP hasn't been involved but when I spoke to the IO I was told that the EP service is being re-structured and there are NONE attached to the LEA currently. She was also unable to give me a timescale as to when the service would be up and running again but indicated that it could be MONTHS hmm

Is this right - or have I got the wrong end of the stick (soooo tired I could be told that little green men will assess ds and I would probably accept it)

Just want to get the facts right re provision of EP service so that I can challenge the fact that LEA don't have one to use.

Tia

Starchart Sun 10-Jul-11 21:09:48

SOunds complete bollox to me. You can't be turned down for SA because the LA doesn't have an EP (have you got this in writing?).

What god awful LA do you live in?

Could it be that there isn't one attached to the school as they are restructuring which schools they are attached to?

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:16:35

Thanks Starchart - I was sue it was complete bollox but needed to hear someone who knows what they are talking about to tell me. We're in Oxfordshire btw and no the IO was quite happy emailing me when I then got a phonecall and she told me about the ep then - thought I was just being cynical but reckon it was a deliberate call as her colleague balls up and put some things in writing which I know she shouldn't have but will back me up at appeal silly girl grin

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:18:22

Ben10 - I thought it might be that but I checked with school on Friday and they said there wern't any in the LEA and that they have other children they are trying to get the EP to see.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 10-Jul-11 21:20:34

Can only confirm what you've already been told i.e it is not impossible to receive a statement without EP involvement.

I take it as read you will appeal their crass decision as a matter of course (IPSEA'S refusal to assess pack is helpful).

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 10-Jul-11 21:21:34

You do not need the EP to receive a statement.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 10-Jul-11 21:35:39

If the LA insist on an EP report they will have to pay for an independent one. Some LAs are getting rid of EPs and will have to outsource them. Maybe Oxford hasn't got a contract in place yet. It's not acceptable, get it in writing.

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:47:28

Believe me I'm gonna appeal! The LEA will NOT know whats hit them grin

aspergersrus Sun 10-Jul-11 21:56:59

Hi farming4...I too am in Oxfordshire (West) and have just lodged my appeal after refusal to issue a statement, did have a SA and an EP report but I believe they are re-structuring and that schools will have to buy in EP advice. I am going to fight all the way as we have a Note in lieu which is unquantified and unspecified. Good luck with it!

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:00:51

Hi aspergersrus - may I ask where abouts in West Oxon? - its my area too! We've probably got the same IO god help us

Starchart Sun 10-Jul-11 22:10:47

'Believe me I'm gonna appeal! The LEA will NOT know whats hit them'

Don't mean to rain on your parade but the LEA won't give a shit. This is pretty much standard these days, so learn what you can but don't expect anyone to a)Take you seriously, b)be scared, c)be bothered when they realised you are serious.

aspergersrus Sun 10-Jul-11 22:12:54

I am in the Witney area, what about you? Don't want to be too specific as you never know who's around wink How old is your son?

aspergersrus Sun 10-Jul-11 22:16:05

Just to echo what starchart has said, no they don't seem to be bothered by my telling them I am lodging an appeal, they have been very matter of fact about the whole process...

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:18:21

Thanks starchart!grin I'm pretty aware of what I'm up against - been on here for too long! I just need to keep myself motivated - it would be too easy to curl up in a corner and forget all about it! Thought a bit of cheerleading would keep me going.....

Aspergersrus - bit further over - Chippy direction and ds is 4 - going to school in sept.

Starchart Sun 10-Jul-11 22:23:22

Oh, well in that case Go Girl. Show them what you're made of and get your name written in bold at the top of their internal circulars!

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:26:35

Cheers!!!!

aspergersrus Sun 10-Jul-11 22:33:21

It does require some true grit doesn't it. Our officer almost managed to convince my other half to give up the fight but I have managed to get him back on track and write a cheque this weekend to get the ball rolling with the solicitor who is looking over our files to tell us how strong a case we have. The appeal has been lodged without their advice as the deadline was too tight for getting the appeal in. Our son is 7 and was given his DX at age 4.5 so been quite a fight already. My gut feeling is we should move schools but he is quite settled at the moment and for a child with social issues it is such a bit decision. If I can offer any help please ask, am happy to meet up if you need some moral support/a coffee. I also have an almost three year old and am a SAHM

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:51:45

Tell me do the letters B.M. mean anything to you? wink

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 23:00:47

Sorry that last post was to aspergersrus!

aspergersrus Sun 10-Jul-11 23:13:15

No, it's KS for us hmm

farming4 Sun 10-Jul-11 23:21:51

A have p'md you

tryingtokeepintune Mon 11-Jul-11 01:27:35

Hi, aspergersrus and farming4. I lodged my appeal vs. Oxon and it was settled recently.

When I told them if I did not get what I wanted in my statement I would appeal, they seemed very matter of fact. However, when I made a courtesy call to tell them about it after the appeal was filed, the LEA Officer was very surprised - so was the Ed Psych - don't know why as she always assured me that she knew I would appeal but it would not change what she put in the statement.

PM me if I can be of any help. Btw, on BBC Oxford last week, OCC said most SEN parents are satisfied with the educational provisions - really!

farming4 Mon 11-Jul-11 10:44:16

hmm to BBC Oxford.

Tryingto - It seems that Oxon have a habit of saying that it doesn't matter what you want it won't make any difference to what they will give you!

Congrats on finally getting your statement sorted - have you been fighting long?

tryingtokeepintune Mon 11-Jul-11 11:44:05

Yes, Oxon does say that, hoping to put people off from appealing and yet seemed surprised when parents do it!

Got the main thing we wanted 2 weeks after appeal was lodged - with a more detailed statement too.

However, I figured since I had to go to all that trouble, I might as well aim for more. Got most of what we wanted very soon after the independent SALT report was received and we made it clear we wanted most of her recommendations in.

Good luck with your appeal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now