Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Swimming Lessons - Advice

(5 Posts)
Anna85 Sun 10-Jul-11 19:34:58

My DS is 5 1/2 and has HFA. Few weeks ago his class started swimming lessons in the school pool. Before the 1st lesson he was really unsure about it and was crying if you ever mentioned swimming etc. Anyhow, the 1st lesson much to my surprise he went in and loved it.

Admittedly now he constantly asks if it will be the same and what they do is the same, but as he seems to enjoy it so much I suggested to him we take him swimming or I would get him swimming lessons but he is dead against it as it won't be the same as school one?

How would you get round this as I am sure he would love swimming lessons x

ontheroadagain Sun 10-Jul-11 20:53:51

I would take him to watch some children having swimming lessons when he is there explain that the lessons will be like at school only with different teacher and dfferent children. Try to introduce him to the swimming teacher.
You may have to do this several times so he can see that the lessons are predictable. Eventually he will tell you he wants to go in so have his kit ready.

Anna85 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:56:15

I hope so as I know he will love it!!!! He does at school!

aspergersrus Sun 10-Jul-11 22:20:27

We have problems when it comes to moving up a group..new children...new teacher. Last changeover we had a private lesson with the new instructor before he started in the new group and that worked well. I have to say I thought it would take him forever to learn to swim but he has made steady progress over two years. Good luck

zzzzz Sun 10-Jul-11 22:42:11

I would pay for the lessons and go watch until he is ready to go in. You could just sit on the edge together and talk about swimming. Swimming has been brilliant for ds....I kind of like the idea of him being able to compete but in him own lane....though this is of course complete fantasy because mine has made no progress at all he just LOVES it! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now