Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

writing things down ready for an assessment

(8 Posts)
saladsandwich Sun 10-Jul-11 18:57:46

im trying to think of things ds does that i think isn't quite age appropriate and i'm finding it tough to do and its hard to know whats normal toddler behaviour and what isn't, i dont want to sound mean towards ds but i dont want to miss anything hes only 2 and half so finding it hard to decide.

so far the main concerns i have are behaviour
- he doesn't have tantrums he has meltdowns where he just gets this smile on his face and trashes and destroys thing and not small things, stuff like beds, bed guards ect
- can hurt himself really badly and not cry but cries hard when somethings taken from him
- hates music and loud noises and doesn't dance or anything, regularly puts his fingers in his ears if you hoover
- obsessed with wheels/cars/spinning
- laughs when he hurts you or is told off, hugs strangers
-constantly wants to be on my knee, laid across my lap usually face down, climbs on my constantly, i cannot sit on the floor without him climbing over my head, he also does this to children at nursery
- over active, constantly running and bouncing
- high pitched screaming
-poor sleeper wakes atleast twice a night with soemtimes night mares or something but i think they are linked to diestive problems because he gets alot of wind/constipation?

development wise he is a late talker but getting close to 100 words now, he's had medical issues but the pead will know about those in his file i guess

sorry for the long post, im just panicking so much

TotalChaos Sun 10-Jul-11 20:00:32

dressing - you wouldn't expect a 2.5 year old to dress himself, but would expect him to cooperate, lift arms up etc.

gesture - does he point/wave/clap

diet - is it limited at all?

saladsandwich Sun 10-Jul-11 20:25:42

he co operates in the sense he is able to lift his arms up ect but it can take up to an hour to get him dressed because he hates it, also hates being undressed and points at the pjamas or clothes you've taken off

he does point/wave/clap but he was late reaching those milestones

diet - he refuses to eat meat and he has strong preferences would eat carrots and plain pasta forever

i can see it being a long day on his assessment day, thankyou smile x

TotalChaos Sun 10-Jul-11 20:34:09

oh yes, definitely flag up it's taking a really long time to get him dressed, that's not usual for that age I don't think .

just trying to think of other things - toileting probably will be discussed, but don't reckon they would expect much at this age, other than again being vaguely cooperative at change times.

TotalChaos Sun 10-Jul-11 20:34:43

oh and what happens when you go out? can you go shopping with him in buggy, or would he often meltdown etc?

saladsandwich Sun 10-Jul-11 22:42:48

ds cannot do shopping, hes is a nightmare he wont go in any shop unless it suits him (toy shop ect), still take him in screaming lol also he likes to go round the toy shop, have a little run round but not pick anything??? i find that odd, will have a meltdown leaving the shop too.

he has a reward chart for getting dressed without creating, hes manage it once out of about 14 times... potty training, hes been doing ok, cant pull pants up and down though x

TotalChaos Mon 11-Jul-11 18:51:01

yep the shopping difficulties would be relevant I reckon, as you would expect briefish tantrums, over toys/sweeties at 2.5, but not being unable to go food shopping all iyswim. kids on the spectrum can find it hard to make choices btw, even if it's fun things like toys.

saladsandwich Tue 12-Jul-11 16:03:39

thanks, asd hasn't been mentioned for ds, something about sensory was mentioned at his CAF meeting, at the moment he juast has speech and language problems and behaviour problems. there as been a break through with the potty training, his behaviour as really come on since i started so wondering if there was a bit of frustration as ds hates dirty, wet ect x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now