Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

private dx?

(10 Posts)
Calally Sun 10-Jul-11 12:26:40

im probably being a bit dim here. paed reckons ds is autistic, as do i and everyone else involved. seen new paed for 1st time in feb, and was told it was up to me whether i want a formal diagnosis. rang to ask for this, was told she's of most of the summer, and the dx would come through 1 of the clinics she runs at ds school, however, could be september, november or next feb, depends when he's due an appointment. so im now thinking of a private diagnosis, but dont know where to start, or how to go about it. anyone who has experienced this, or been through private diagnosis, any help would be great.

thanks in advance smile

Mitmoo Sun 10-Jul-11 12:32:00

Sorry I can't answer that, my son was diagnosed through CAMHS.

May I ask how old the child is and what your needs are that you can't get help with without the diagnosis? I cried for days when my son was diagnosed before I twigged that he was the same child before and the same child afterwards it was just a diagnosis. It did open doors for us to autism support etc.

I hope someone is along soon who can advise you though.

fivegomadindorset Sun 10-Jul-11 12:35:04

Find a private child psychiatrist, we took DD to The Priory near Southampton, and then ask your GP for a referral. This has opened dorrs for us too.

Calally Sun 10-Jul-11 12:37:29

we dont have camhs here in northern ireland i dont think. theres quite a lot of support through autism ni, they have days out, summer schemes etc, but you have to have a diagnosis before you can do any of that. theres just a lot more on offer for us than there is now, as hes classed as sld. he's nearly 6. id queried it with his old paed previously, n she said when she 1st saw him she thought he was autistic, but as he'd made progress she wasnt sure. now everyone is agreed that he prob is autistic, but im still not able to get a dx yet. so frustrating

Mitmoo Sun 10-Jul-11 12:43:37

I'd ask your paed or the school if they know how to get a private diagnosis. You could call MIND, and while in most areas they don't have a children's section they have a whole wealth of information, if they don't know for your area, they could signpost you to someone who could help.

Actually better still I'd also call Autism NI and ask them, if anyone should know it is probably them.

Mitmoo Sun 10-Jul-11 12:44:24

Can is ask what does DD stand for? I keep seeing it and similar but I'm not sure what they stand for. Dohs at self. :-)

Calally Sun 10-Jul-11 12:46:01

dd dear daughter, ds dear son, dh dear husband etc

Mitmoo Sun 10-Jul-11 12:49:58

Aha eureka moment. Thank you.

lisad123 Sun 10-Jul-11 13:18:10

I would be tempted to wait. Many proffessionals arent keen on private dx, and it can cause further delay. I would be tempted to keep ringing and explain you want to put this support in place and could she write a letter/report detailing a "working dx" or a full one so you can access it. Tell her you know the impact of delays in further input, and refuse to take anything other than what you want. Schools havent broken up yet and also ask for her email address.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sun 10-Jul-11 14:01:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: