Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Homeopathy for autism

(12 Posts)
Suzza Sat 09-Jul-11 22:40:01

My friend mentioned that homeopathy may help my autistic son, but I dnt have the first idea what the hell it is and what they do, any info anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

thanks..

Starchart Sat 09-Jul-11 22:41:26

Well, it isn't the first thing I'd try to be honest, given there is plenty of research backing other approaches.

What have you tried so far?

Suzza Sat 09-Jul-11 22:56:06

Nothing!!

Starchart Sat 09-Jul-11 23:08:13

Well have you looked into anything else? How old is he and how long since the diagnosis?

tabulahrasa Sun 10-Jul-11 00:56:35

Homeopathy is basically - molecules have a memory and plants that produce the same symptoms as what you're treating will help it.

So some plants are put in water, then that water is diluted hundreds if times and some of that water is then put in a tablet, it's supposed to hold the memory of the plant rather than contain any active ingredient.

So you get a nice wee sugar tablet that has some molecules that once touched a plant in them.

You'd be as well giving him a lolly tbh.

Parietal Sun 10-Jul-11 01:35:12

Homeopathy is a waste of time & money.

Take a look at intensive teaching approaches like Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA). It may not be fast but it does work.

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 10-Jul-11 11:19:12

Homeopathy didn't make one jot of difference to my autistic boy. Must admit I don't believe in it anyway, nor is there any science behind it, but I feel pretty strongly that autism is a set of brain defects that affected my son from birth, and that therefore a little bit of juice with flower extract isn't going to touch the sides! Behavioural therapies like ABA are your best bet imho.

Suzza Sun 10-Jul-11 13:25:05

Starchart - I haven't tried anything. He was diagnosed in March and all I have done since then is sit in many many meetings with professionals to help him out and I have been on a general behaviour course.

I will look into ABA sounds like a good idea. But my son may have ODD too so will get that diagnosed first before I do anything.

Thanks everyone for your help, at least I won't waste my time on money on that idea now!!

S

dolfrog Sun 10-Jul-11 14:50:18

Suzza

You might like to have a look at Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders, FROM THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS which discusses the researched support options, The real issue is to work around the specific criteria identified in your DS diagnosis of autism.

Starchart Sun 10-Jul-11 15:45:04

Suzza,

Sitting in meetings with professionals doesn't help your child, direct intervention helps your child.

ABA is good for ODD, but even if you don't want to go down that road you should not wait until you have a diagnosis before you begin researching and working as a month of intervention when he is 3 is worth a year of intervention when he is in his teens.

There are other things you should look into. Hanen, is a good start (although I'm not sure of your ds' age and level). Visual supports can be useful to support transition from one activity to another, or give an idea of sequences of events to reduce anxiety or help him plan.

Suzza Sun 10-Jul-11 22:46:46

You are right it doesn't I feel like things are moving on but everytime there is a meltdown feel like bashing my head against a brick wall as don't know what best to do anymore!

I Will look into Hanen, thanks!!

S

suzylovesshoes Mon 11-Jul-11 09:08:11

I asked my gp to refer my son to the royal London homeopathic hospital. The gp was concerned about cost so practice agreed for him to be assessed. We are seen about every 3 months. My son likes to wind any leads, belts ect. around arrangements of objects. The spider remedy ( my name for it!) really seems to work, I can see when the month is up and he is due his next dose.

I do not take it too seriously though, maybe it just nice to have someone sit and listen and feel they genuinely want to help.

You can also pay privately. I would recommend as very highly qualified and under NHS umbrella of standards.

sue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now