Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I think I might have found an activity for DS1 (ASD) next year...

(14 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 09-Jul-11 13:41:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cankles Sat 09-Jul-11 15:07:30

that sounds lovely! - perhaps he really likes being creative and something to show for the effort he makes! My ds2 didn't engage very well with Beavers unfortunately but he does like pottery! x

Starchart Sat 09-Jul-11 15:50:40

I was in the Woodcraft Folk when I was a kid and if there's one place that ASD will be accepted that's it! The whole working together anti-competetivie thing is also pretty helpful to children with ASD who need extra work on these skills.

WhoWhoWhoWho Sat 09-Jul-11 16:21:08

I wish there was a woodcraft folk group near me. They seem very thin on the ground up north.

I agree the anti-competitive aspect would really really help my ds too - he really struggles with anything competitive, it's just too much pressure and highlights areas he sturggles with which is just an upsetting time and a real blow to his confidence. Something more patient and accepting would work wonders.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sat 09-Jul-11 16:31:30

Don't knock Beavers though. Our pack/troop/whatever that DS has been to for the last two weeks has been really welcoming to him. The leaders (badger and hedgehog - how can you take these names seriously grin) are TAs, one at DSs school and one at the other local infants. Seems really inclusive so far and has lots of boys in the older sections who are more geeky so fits DS perfectly so far smile

Pleased you've found something for minilenin though!

LeninGrad Sat 09-Jul-11 22:50:46

LeninGrad Sat 09-Jul-11 22:54:07

LeninGrad Sat 09-Jul-11 22:59:23

Starchart Sat 09-Jul-11 23:06:50

Lenin You might want to be a little aware of the politics, although I think their leanings are obvious. They absolutely don't believe in children being political activists however, beyond the everyone muck in and share the jobs and benefits level, but at the late teens stage it can get a bit that way.

As I said, I went as a kid and absolutely loved it. They tend to have very high expectations of children's morality, ability and participation and they probably the most inclusive of organisations. No religion, no sex discrimination or seperation, inclusive of disability and tolerant of all cultures and lifestyles.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sun 10-Jul-11 12:59:26

LeninGrad Sun 10-Jul-11 13:29:43

LeninGrad Sun 10-Jul-11 14:54:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now