Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

NIL advice please

(7 Posts)
Claw3 Fri 08-Jul-11 14:00:06

Monitoring at the end of NIL, states " an IEP shoud be drawn up by school and appropriate professionals. This should be monitored and reviewed on a regular basis. If ds does not respond to support of his needs become more complex, the case could be re-reffered for consideration"

It would appear that ds hasnt met a target since he started at his new school in June 2010 (i have asked the school to clarify this) The NIL was issued in September 2010.

My question is will i have to start the whole SA process again or as the NIL says it can be referred if no progress is made for consideration, can i just go straight back to the LA?

Agnesdipesto Fri 08-Jul-11 14:15:04

Well i suspect they will rely on tribunal saying his needs are being met and be reluctant to reopen matters pre tribunal about lack of progress as the tribunal has effectively dismissed this

You might be better focussing your efforts on a new IEP and proper monitoring and assessment of that - all that data stuff we were talking about eg half termly review of IEP, proper baseline measurement, proper ongoing evaluation of the interventions, agree what 'regular' review of IEP should mean

If there is no progress you can go back to LA but i suspect you will need to start SA again to get taken seriously - do you have to wait 6 months post tribunal to do this anyway? There is something in COP about how long you have to wait from the last assessment / tribunal before you can start again

Claw3 Fri 08-Jul-11 14:33:03

Thanks Agnes, I understand i have to wait 6 months from the date of Tribunal, which was May.

School stated at Tribunal that ds was meeting targets, although they did not have any evidence of this. They lied basically!

Ive written to school today, asking them to clarify exactly what recommendations they will be following, and exactly what targets he has met or failed to meet etc. Prior to starting his new school in June 2010 and not meeting targets, he hasnt meet any target since he started school 3 years ago.

I suppose i should do both, apply for SA and in the meantime put pressue on the LA to change their minds about a statement?

Agnesdipesto Fri 08-Jul-11 14:46:43

Yes and really try and get a good baseline now and a very detailed IEP
I am trying to get some stuff from my LA on monitoring and have some handouts from the conf i went to which I will scan in and once i have got it together i can email it you and then when they say we don't have to do it in that much detail etc you have some egs of good practice to show them.
But your LA SEN monitoring team should have stuff too

Claw3 Fri 08-Jul-11 15:58:01

Thanks Agnes thats very helpful. I will get onto the SEN monitoring team.

Claw3 Fri 08-Jul-11 16:03:53

I have just found this on my Borough's website

PROPOSED ADDITION OF A RESOURCED PROVISION FOR CHILDREN
WITH SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS TO XXXXX PRIMARY
SCHOOL

"Notice is given in accordance with section 19(1) of the Education and
Inspections Act 2006 that London Borough of Bexley intends to make a
prescribed alteration to ds's school from 01 September 2010.
The Borough proposes that 8 places within ds's School will
be identified as Special Educational Needs (SEN) resourced provision places
for children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders"

What does that mean?

Claw3 Fri 08-Jul-11 16:12:58

Dont worry, i know what it means, found further details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now