We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Waiting to hear from LEA re SA

(9 Posts)
beautifulgirls Fri 08-Jul-11 11:02:13

I just wanted to say really today our 6 weeks is up for the LEA to decide whether or not to assess for a possible statement for DD#1. Hopefully we hear today or perhaps they send out the notification to come early next week? Please wish us luck, have had a very tough last 3 weeks with DD#3 in hospital with septicaemia 10days of which were in intensive care. She is on the mend thank goodness but I have no idea how to find the energy or time to appeal if they say no. We are still away from home but thankfully have good support for the other two girls and people who can check our post.

I've no doubt I'll be back to post when we know their decision one way or the other.

Thanks for letting me waffle!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 08-Jul-11 11:28:31

What a worrying time. I hope your DD makes a full recovery. LAs seem to be making a habit of pushing the timing of their decisions to the limit, and often beyond. Good luck, I hope it goes well so you have not need to appeal.

cwtch4967 Fri 08-Jul-11 11:43:37

Hope it goes well for you but don't be surprised if you have to chase them up - in my experience deadlines don't matter much to the LEA, I had to chase mine at every stage and they were always late.

beautifulgirls Fri 08-Jul-11 20:33:33

Apparently no letter today. Will see what tomorrow and Monday bring from the postman, then start thinking about chasing them. Thanks ladies

beautifulgirls Sat 09-Jul-11 18:38:47

No surprises then, turned down for SA. Guess I have to find the time to launch an appeal now. Can anyone advise can I log the need to appeal and then prepare the paperwork further after that?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 09-Jul-11 19:12:34

Hi beautiful

Sorry to hear this.

On what grounds was the request turned down?. Sometimes they cave if school can provide more evidence anyway.

Use IPSEA's refusal to access pack from the website www.ipsea.org.uk

If I recall correctly you need to get the appeal into SENDIST within two months of the date of the LEA's refusal letter.

beautifulgirls Sun 10-Jul-11 11:00:04

Thanks, have looked at IPSEA. They refused to asses saying her needs could be met from existing school resources. They have however noted quite strongly the school sent too much paperwork which I hope will stand against them. They also stated that they realise DD is having further assessments soon and we can reapply after those. I hope we have good arguments here to say they should be acting to determine her needs as clearly they are not necessarily all obvious, hence diagnostic appointments outstanding. I also think we have good argument about the lack of any speech therapy happening in 2 years and how on earth school can be expected to provide this as it is an external professional input?

Any pointers very welcomed please.

Chrissssie Sat 30-Jul-11 22:16:35

Try www.sen-legal-advice.co.uk

They helped me and my son considerably

X

coff33pot Sat 30-Jul-11 23:20:16

Sorry to read this news. Very stressful for you with your DD poorly I hope she is on the mend x

How can it be a problem for too much paperwork??? The LEA ask for as much info and reports as possible. Very strange. Also if you still got appointments outstanding then the LEA have made a decision without the full picture hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now