Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of children hoarding?

(6 Posts)
ggirl Thu 07-Jul-11 22:51:25

My friends 6 yr old has a serious hoarding problem.
He doesn't even want to through away used sweet wrappers.
I have had a google for her as she's asked me to, came up with it being related to OCD. He's also a perfectionist and has problems sharing. Had lost interest in school .
Anyone have any ideas I can give her?

ggirl Fri 08-Jul-11 12:40:28

bump

siblingrivalry Fri 08-Jul-11 14:56:23

Hi

My dd is like this. She has AS, dyspraxia and OCD. I'm not saying that your friend's ds has any of these issues, though, just that it can be a stand-alone problem or part of something bigger.

Does her ds have any other issues -anxiety/sensory issues;etc?

ggirl Fri 08-Jul-11 16:48:15

well he's changed a lot since a toddler
quite reserved now and anxious
was keen/able at school in reception, now finds it difficult and not interested
shyer than he used to be

Mitmoo Sun 10-Jul-11 12:49:03

My son has OCD and ASD the hoarding of wrappers doesn't sound like OCD to me though it depends on why he is doing it, but you might want to have a look at the children's section of OCD Today website to see if you can recognise any other traits listed.

OCD for the record is when a person has an obsession, normally a fear and then they have Compulsive Behaviours (not always) to "protect" them from their fear.The fear is often irrational. The problem is that the fear pops back up so the compulsive behaviour has to be done again, hence they get "stuck".

ggirl Sun 10-Jul-11 14:54:39

thanks mitmoo , will have a look at that website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now