Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Nightime potty training dd aged 4 (ASD, social communication, emotional delay)

(4 Posts)
pigletmania Thu 07-Jul-11 22:39:53

Can it be done, I don't know where to start. First of all as its summer she likes to drink water in the night, if i say no there is a meltdown and it seems cruel to say no especially when i go and have a drink in the night. Its not possible because of her SN to say no drinks after 6.30 pm, there would be more meltdowns. Its hard for her to sleep at night, if i lift her she would have more meltdowns. Any advice!

Calally Thu 07-Jul-11 22:59:57

i have attempted this a few times with ds ( hes 5, and has sld ). recently been put in touch with community nurse. he isnt fully toilet trained during the day. he remembers sometimes, but not in public. he wears pull ups. also has a meltdown if refused a drink in the evening ( awaiting autism dx ) nurse says that when his pull up starts to become dryer during the night, thats a sign he can hold it longer, but not to force the issue until hes ready. im hoping it wont be to much longer. you could talk to behaviour therapist or someone at school, or community nurse, see what they say.

signandsmile Fri 08-Jul-11 06:44:43

I would agree with the wait till ready, (my ds 5 in Nov, ASD and LD) is now dry and clean during the day (with prompting and supervision, grin) but nighttimes has only recently started to have some dry nights. (he's a big boy, so in pyjama pants now.) I'm not going to wake him, as he is terrible at getting back to sleep, and when they did a continence assessment for nappies, (when he was 3) I remember the woman saying a sizable minority of NT kids are'nt reliably dry at night by school age, so if that's the case, I'm not worrying for ds for quite a while... smile

pigletmania Fri 08-Jul-11 09:03:19

Thanks everyone, my dd is in the underjam pyjama pants as she is too big for pull ups

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now