Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First question on evaluation for for ASD training......

(11 Posts)
Starchart Wed 06-Jul-11 12:56:01

which was for teachers and parents of children starting school.

'How confident are you in managing a child with autism?'

MANAGING?

bochead Wed 06-Jul-11 13:33:47

Sounds about right. I hate this attitude - you don't MANAGE any child, you teach, nurture, raise, even discipline, whether asd or not. They are kids not lil aliens despite their obsessions and eccentricities ;)

DS's provision seems more about containing him and managing him (he's a bolter when summat makes him anxious) than integrating him into his new school.

I got a bit fed up when instead of focusing on his hearing sensitivity, which is a real impairment my school OT's time was taken up with fiddle toys and wobble cusions cos he fidgets. I was like - hey over here he spends part of every day in PAIN from his ears but you people aren't bothered unless he fidgets in collective worship cos of it?

Also depressing is how little effort is put into EDUCATING HIM ( 3 R's, social skills). A shame as one of the easiest ways to "manage" him at home is to teach him something, whether it be a new recipe, a social story or how to count change. I'm very lucky in that I have an asd kid who wants to learn, even if it's not always by the conventional methods.

He's one of those whose mind has to be occupied at all times by something constructive or he'll use the time to start fretting. I've met many a bright little boy without asd with the same need to be metally occupied or the risk of mischief making is there. He has free time to fret, he gets anxious -he bolts and the school are right back at square one with him again.

The school have been shocked recently at how once they instituted a visual approach he's been soaking up maths and science like it's the last drop of water in the desert. He loves it and the teacher and ta love how they are no longer "managing" but actually teaching him summat - win, win all round : ) He's there to learn, they are there to teach. He has a different learning style to the norm, but the basic principle is the same. No "managing" required.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 06-Jul-11 13:43:45

One of the prospective secondaries I looked at for DS2 described him as 'marginalised' rather than vulnerable etc. That sort of attitude stinks, but luckily not all schools are that way.

Starchart Wed 06-Jul-11 13:59:34

But this was't a school, it was the LA trainingTO the schools and parents!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 06-Jul-11 14:14:46

Some LAs stink! grin

Starchart Wed 06-Jul-11 17:42:21

Yeah.

Can't believe I was the only one who crossed out 'managing' but I was. Clearly Managing is all that people expect.

Starchart Wed 06-Jul-11 17:43:13

Btw, ds' new school didn't turn up and didn't send an apology even.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 06-Jul-11 19:20:04

My DS's primary school didn't go to the transition training for pre-school to primary that the advisory teaching service had arranged, because it clashed with Art's week, or some such nonsense.

DS2 has done well in primary, though, Star. Mostly despite the original SENCo and some of the class teachers, but his TA was good, happy to learn about how he ticked, etc, and the advisory teachers were great. I'm just waiting to see how he's done in his Y6 SATs. This from a non-verbal 3.5 yo. His class have been really supportive, that helped a lot. An early talk by the advisory teacher on hidden disabilities was very useful in that respect.

I hope your school get there in the end. DS2's school were very reluctant initially, but DS1 was already there and really settled. It was a compromise, but it has worked out.

Starchart Wed 06-Jul-11 19:28:00

DS's statement has 20 hours of unspecified TA nonsense, so I doubt he's even GOT a TA.

Plus the school were fighting against accepting him even after it had been named in the statement hmm.

They say they don't have the resources or the SENCO time, which I think is why they didn't turn up.

I am drafting a letter that offers them a solution to both the above though so let's see how they take that wink

Starchart Wed 06-Jul-11 22:03:23

btw, meant to say thank you EJ for some hope!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 06-Jul-11 22:23:33

I hope your plans work out. Keep us informed, without dropping yourself in it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now