Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Everything's gone horribly wrong and I don't know what to do next

(23 Posts)
electra Tue 05-Jul-11 17:00:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Tue 05-Jul-11 18:10:21

silverfrog Tue 05-Jul-11 18:13:27

oh blimey.

I would hit the roof.

when you say the school was supposed to eb employing TAs - presumably wih tthe view that they would then be ABA trained? but sourced via school, rather than you? and training by consultant as always?

I would be asking:

why the TA was making recommendations re: programme.
why the TA thought it appropriate to ignore years of (tribunal won and directed) ABA and go her own way
why the TA had ignored all ABA teaching, and why it was not noticed by others that she was doing so
where the proof was that SOn Rise was any use whatsoever, and where the proof was that it had benefitted your dd
how you are supposed to move forward in conjunction with the school if they do not let you know about important developments (and stupid fuckups!) in your dd's programme.

I am so sorry this has happened. What a bloody stupid thing for anyone to do angry

silverfrog Tue 05-Jul-11 18:16:13

oh, btw - when cons (assume same one?) recommended letting school take over in order to build case for later provision - was it in a "give enough rope to hang themselves" kind of way? I know the strongest argument we had for ABA when we were filing for Tribunal was that the LEA had had dd1 for a year, and she had made no progress, but then we re-started ABA, and within a week she was making progress... the failure was more important than the progress, though - so maybe he meant that htis is what you might have to go through in order to secure future ABA/decent provision? (shitty that you might have to, but sadly often the case)

moondog Tue 05-Jul-11 18:35:13

It is utterly inappropriate for a TA to be making recommendations about provision for your child.
Moreover, what qualification does she have in this field?
You do of course know that Son Rise has no proper evidence base?

How have you found out about this? Did she tell you or did someone else?

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 19:40:55

appropriatelytrained Tue 05-Jul-11 19:47:50

I'm so sorry you;re having this bother. I have just had to take both my boys out of school because of a crappy relationship with a rubbish TA which school were determined to keep in place.

This suits them long-term doesn't it? You don't like the undermining, crappy TA, you might leave? Job done. It was in our case.

Agnesdipesto Tue 05-Jul-11 20:22:04

What does the statement say? Can you argue the statement is not being implemented by the school or LA and indeed is being openly flouted?

Does the statement not provide for x hours of ABA? In which case the school must provide it

I have heard of a tribunal case where the LA and parents agreed to use sonrise but disagreed about the £ and the tribunal refused to order any son-rise as it had no evidence to support it, even though the LA had been prepared to fund some.

I can't see why the school can't get rid of her. If a TA came in and refused to teach the national curriculum they could get rid, whats the difference?

I suppose you could complain to sch governors and LA and then threaten to go to Ombudsman to get the statement implemented as has been directed - buts thats not really a solution to the here and now - just a threat of hassle for them further down the line

How much money have school got? Can you return to the old arrangement in Sept?

silverfrog Tue 05-Jul-11 20:31:11

totally agree with you that to encourage stimming is damaging - and would never in a million years have been what cons thought would happen, i bet. giving them enough rope is one thing - to end up (once you have proved your point re: them not being able to provide) right back where you started all those years ago would be heartbreaking.

agree with agnes - dd's statement must still say ABA? then school must provide that. if this particular TA can not do so/will not do so then she can not work with your dd, clearly. what the school do with her instead is up to them, but to hide behind "she didn't apply to be an ABA tutor" is disingenuous. if she applied to be your dd's TA, and dd's statement says ABA, then she did (in a roundabout way) apply to be involved in ABA. if the school did not make htis clear, then that is thei problem, not yours. your dd shoudl still be receiving ABA.

how long did consultant say you shoudl give them to prove they are shit at providing? when is next AR?

I had to give a shitty LA over a year of dd1's life to let them prove how shit they were, and it nearly killed me. I am not sure I oculd do it again now, now she has made such good progress, so I do sympathise with what you must be going through.

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 20:33:28

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Tue 05-Jul-11 20:36:09

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 20:38:43

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 20:40:12

silverfrog Tue 05-Jul-11 20:44:02

how are you finding dd's stimming at home? does she situationally separate places in that way? (if dd1 were doign this at school, she would not necessarily carry over into other places)

I would try to sit tight and wait for review meeting.

this situation was set up to prove a point, and I am not sure if you removing your dd at this point would scupper that, iyswim? woudl be a shame to negate the very point you were trying to make... however obviously only you can decide where to draw the line wrt your dd.

I know you have already said you are not sure where the future lies for your dd's schooling - has consultant said anythign on this? and where do you feel your dd is at wrt ABA in general? if you could secure it for the future (maybe at a different school) would you stil carry on, or do you feel it is time for you all to move on?

I ask because my answers to those questions would be what helped me decide what to do in your current situation. If I were set on ABA being the way (with school yet to be decided, perhaps) then I might persevere with the current farce at school. it does sound as though you are at a point where you need to prove that nothing else works (I hate that this is ever the case).

If you are not so set on ABA, and are instead interested in exploring other options, then maybe persevering with current set up is not worth it - undermining the years of ABA just before you leave a programme woudl be foolish. letting someone else undermine it in order to prove they dont know what they are talking about is a very different thing...

silverfrog Tue 05-Jul-11 20:46:36

hmm, a whole term more?

I would find that difficult.

but maybe you could try to see whether you can get this particular TA removed at the review meeting?

when you say you feel sure LA will remove ABA soon - when is your next statement review?. if they have agreed ABA over the summer, then they would be hard pressed to remove it before Sept, surely?

blueemerald Tue 05-Jul-11 21:15:34

I am a supporter of Son-Rise and an SEN TA but I am still disgusted by the attitude of this TA. How dare she think she knows best for your daughter? If I went to the SENCO I work for and told her I was going to take X approach with a certain student (contradicting the statement etc) she would laugh me out of the office (and probably the school).

I don't think this woman knows all that much about Son-Rise because Son-Rise will not work if the approach is only used for a tiny fraction of the school day This next bit is important please don't all shout at me I am aware there is bitter arguement very strong debate about whether Son-Rise helps or not but even the "inventors" openly say that it will have no effect (and possibly an adverse effect on her ABA progress) if only partially done.

Sadly I doubt the school will get rid of this TA now so unless you are willing to move your daughter then the best plan of attack is to change the TA's approach but I totally understand if you feel that this is clearly not your job

(please forgive all the bold/emphasis but I know son-rise is unpopular here and I don't want to get flamed!)

Agnesdipesto Tue 05-Jul-11 21:16:22

Well you could just find a nearer school and transfer the statement there maybe for Sept if a local school has places.
Tough luck if they have employed a TA and the child is no longer at the school
However then you have an issue about how to find a new school and a new TA
Does the statement say X school or does it say ABA in maintained mainstream school? ie can you move her to a different school without the statement having to be changed
Might be you have to put your staff back in and try the whole thing tactical game again in the autumn
Can you take next terms money with you or has it already been dished out?

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 21:51:31

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 21:52:30

silverfrog Tue 05-Jul-11 22:00:28

consultant has said specifically that transport is the problem? LA consider (I htink) up to an hour an ok journey time (mind you, when they were challenging our desire for ABA school, they said that the 50 min journey took 90 min hmm)

or does he mean that transport is part of the problem -ie LA woudl argue that distance plus cost of transport = inefficient use of funds, and dd shoudl go to X school as much closer and therefore cheaper?

my dd1 still needs ABA school for the same reasons - extreme passivity, and a need to be kept on task. whereabouts in the country are you, and is moving an option at all (if not now, then for secondary transfer etc)? again, it is stupid that it should have to happen, but moving was instrumental to our winning ABA school...

so, if you think ABA is the way forward, unfortunately it does look like you need to be able to prove that nothign else works for your dd.

you said erlier that her current school is too far away - is there another option closer to you that owuld be ok with ABA set up? not as good as ABA school, but if you can get a good ABa set up within a school then that is half the battle won.

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 22:08:16

silverfrog Tue 05-Jul-11 22:15:47

yes, reasonably near London. on the outside though. we are lucky in that we had a choice of ABA schools originally (although all of them would have meant an eventual house move - we have not lived in our house since we started fighting for ABA when dd1 was 3! so now in rented, and have moved a few times to chase provision... )

we have been fairly fortunate with our LA - they settled before tribunal, and have not contested (not even attended!) at annual review.

electra Tue 05-Jul-11 22:49:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now