Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help needed please

(3 Posts)
asdx2 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:32:47

As you know the LIO is meeting with ds's school so as to amend the statement to tailor it to fit what the unit need to do to accommodate him (not sure that that's what he should be doing but still...)

But if the statement has a good content and accurately describes ds's needs for post 16 then I'll only need to fight over the place where the provision takes place I suppose.

So let your imagination run wild, if you could ask for anything (bear in mind the LEA already provide and agree to continue to provide 1 to 1 support at all times so TA time isn't a problem) what would you want for your child? Bear in mind he is post 16 though.

The school and myself with help from the independent school are going to make as many demands as possible so that either the statement is brilliant but so expensive the Independent school is a better option or we come up with stuff that the unit can't supply (peer group and a therapeutic curriculum) and again the independent school is the better option.

Oh and a little afterthought I am meeting LIO on Thursday evening to view the plans for ( and hear about what it will offer) an SEN unit that is to be built attached to the local FE college for September 2012. Could all this stalling be simply because they hope to hold out until then to have a provision for ds that will cost peanuts?

auntevil Tue 05-Jul-11 19:56:32

Ask for the earth - you never know what they might agree to!
I think that if it were my DS - who is only 8, so a bit of a way yet - i would ask for whatever it takes to ensure that my DS is confident in the knowledge that he is a valuable, loved and wanted member of society.
It sounds fluffy, but i would want my DS to be happy. For that, he would want to have friends/ an accepting peer group/ a social life. He would also want to feel independent - so skills that allow the greatest levels of autonomy. He would want to live the life of a teenager with the minimum of intervention by parents.
Definitely with you on the peer group being an important aspect of transition into adulthood. Lets face it, many of us remain friends with those we met at college and in that part of out lives.
i don't envy you your task ahead. Makes me quite glad that i have many years until this point. good luck

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 05-Jul-11 20:17:03

Phew! Is this in a MS setting or a special setting? I suppose I'd want excellent academic provision as well as the peer group and social side of things. AS levels, A levels, or further GCSEs? So tailored to meet you DSs skills, to ensure he meets his academic potential. And/or vocational training to enable your DS to get a job to help him to become more independent. What are his interests/obsessions? What could be harnessed and made useful to an employer? How will they offer training in life skills? Money management, shopping, cooking etc. God, there is so much, my DS is only 11! grin Stop making me think that far ahead! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now