Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

dyspraxia info please

(5 Posts)
HarlotOTara Mon 04-Jul-11 21:47:12

Hi, I posted this in SN Teens but realise it is rather slow there. I wonder if anyon can help with some info.

I work in a couple of schools with students that are at risk of not achieving or being excluded. I have just started working with a student of 15 who has a statement for dyspraxia. Lovely boy and he has told me some of the things that he has had difficulty with in the past and a bit about how having dyspraxia has affected him emotionally. I don't know a huge amount about it but am doing some research so that I can support him as best I can. One of the things he is having difficulty with is behaviour in the classroom and storming out of lessons. Is managing anger and difficult feelings something that is typical of dyspraxia? I am wondering about this so that I can support him in dealing with his angry feelings but some background info. from parents with experience would be very helpful.

Also, I have another student with a disgnosis of ADHD who takes medication. He also struggles with behaviour in school although I really think that has improved with support. However, from what he has said and what the new student has also told me, I am sadly coming to the conclusion that there is not joined up thinking between teaching staff when dealing with special needs issues. Has anyone found this to be the case at secondary schools?

They are both lovely boys who could be helped more if the teachers (not all) were more on the ball regarding special needs. For example the student with ADHD had a worry ball to fiddle with in class and this was confiscated by a teacher, if he can fiddle with something he calms down. Anxiety about not knowing what is happening and sudden changes can make his behaviour deteriorate and it seems this can be easily rectified with a bit of thought. This is really just from my observation but am interested in what any other views are.

tallulah Mon 04-Jul-11 22:01:31

2 of my boys have dyspraxia to different extents- one also has ADHD. IME dyspraxia doesn't lead to anger management issues but doesn't mean to say that it doesn't in some people.

What you say about the teaching staff was my particular bugbear all the way through school. I got so frustrated when a teacher would complain that he was untidy and disorganised. Yes, that is part of having ADHD and dyspraxia. We'd sort it out with Maths only for the English teacher to have a go. I often wondered if the various teachers ever communicated with each-other, and with the SENCO.

In our case it was a grammar school and they had limited experience in dealing with SEN.

CQrrrneee Mon 04-Jul-11 22:01:38

I think the students are lucky to have someone like you who wants to understand the reasons behind their behaviour smile
dyspraxia -can be extremely frustrating for the pupil particularly if his needs are not being catered for in class.
dyspraxia advice here

'I am sadly coming to the conclusion that there is not joined up thinking between teaching staff when dealing with special needs issues.'
that's it in a nutshell really

The teacher who confiscated the worry ball - appalling behaviour. Schools have to make reasonable adjustments and a worry ball is quite a common (and easy)one to make.

Hassled Mon 04-Jul-11 22:05:06

The Dyspraxia Foundation has a very useful website.
Re the anger/emotions - DS2 (13, Dyspraxic) has never been an angry child - but bear in mind there is often an overlap with Aspergers and Dyspraxia, to varying degrees. It sounds like your boy is struggling to recognise/cope with his emotions and I'm sure there will be some help available for that - what does your SENCo say?

HarlotOTara Mon 04-Jul-11 22:22:09

Thanks very much for that. My guess is then that his anger is about feeling stupid and anxiety about failing GCSEs etc. (happening next year). We have sort of touched on this but I wanted to check out more about the dyspraxia issues before I next see him. I have had a quick look at the link and will read more.

I know there are lovely and supportive teachers out there but sometimes I get very cross and frustrated by the lack of awareness. I know teachers are informed about students with sn and surely it would only make their job easier if they understood the needs of the student. Isn't this part of the role of a SENCO to inform and educate? Sorry I expect I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here.

I didn't know a huge amount about ADHD before working with one boy but he has been able to tell me what it is like for him and we have worked out together how to manage change and anxiety in a better way. Has taken the best part of a year however but we have been fortunate to have the time to work togethr. I was quite amazed that trying to understand what helps him this seems to be a new concept and I am certainly no expert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now