Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

carers,dla,income support

(7 Posts)
spiritsam Mon 04-Jul-11 16:34:24

Hi am just wandering if this is normal . I get DLA l.r.c so i get top up on income support , DD now gets m.r.c just been awarded 55 per week carers but they have knocked off my disabled top up of 29 per week from my income support .

davidsotherhalf Mon 04-Jul-11 16:46:02

carers is taken out of income support and you lose your top up as you can't say your disabled and get carers allowance, iyswim

spiritsam Mon 04-Jul-11 17:14:07

Ok thanks yes smile will have to see if it affects HB too . x

potatocrush Mon 04-Jul-11 19:26:51

You shouldn't lose the disability premium - it is allowed to be added with the carer premium. There are no restrictions on most income support premiums except the family premium lone parent, disability premium and pensioner premium - you can only get one of these but I doubt you're affected. Get the CAB or a local charity/organisation to look it over (our carer's centre is helpful) as the DWP often calculate the premiums incorrectly.

For a single person over 25, you should get (weekly)
£67.50 basic rate
+ £28.85 disability premium
+ £31.00 carer premium
- £55.55 carer's allowance deduction
= £69.75 total income support plus your carer's allowance

You will probably get a higher rate of HB and also CTC, so make sure you let HMRC and local council know. CTC for one child on MRC should be about £113 if you get the maximum (which you should if you're on IS).

potatocrush Mon 04-Jul-11 19:28:31

oops that should add up to £71.80 total IS

brandy77 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:02:12

I get carers for my son and £42 a week IS, didnt realise I was entitled to it when I left my job 18months ago, I presumed the carers was instead of it. It was only when I read on here that I was entitled to it that I applied

spiritsam Mon 04-Jul-11 20:38:01

Oh god it's so confusing thanks all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now