Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Retained primative reflexes?

(15 Posts)
magso Mon 04-Jul-11 11:31:49

Hi! Have seen PRRs mentioned here but I am a novice. Ds is 11, dxed with MLD ASD ADHD so it has been a long road since his difficulties were first investigated, but reflexes have never been looked at. He has coordination difficulties and scored below 5the centile for this and scored high for sensory difficulties.
Last week he fell off a platform at the top of a slide after running up it in swash buckling mode and missing his step. It was an odd fall that reminded me of the way babies throw themselves backwards instinctively when startled. He sort of rickosheyed backwards and fell flat out. I started looking up reflexes and came across retained reflexes and it seemed to all fit!!Yes I know googling things is a bad idea but if there is something that might help --

Those of you with experience how who did you see (physio/OT?) and how did you find someone. Has therapy helped? We tried desensitisation techniques - mostly stroking and brushing following his OT/sensory assesment 3 years back (guiltily admits to giving it up -it was such a struggle and I got very ill)
Should I get ds checked for PRRs? thanks

pedalpants Mon 04-Jul-11 11:34:24

there's some more info about it in "the well balanced child" by Sally someone, including some exercises in the back

Becaroooo Mon 04-Jul-11 11:51:11

Google INPP.

The book is called "The Well balanced Child" by Sally goddard Blythe - she is the owner of INPP.

Sounds like your son still has the "moro" reflex to me....like my ds1.

Ds1 is being seen at INPP. You fill out an online questionairre, if they feel they can help you can download and print off a more detailed questionairre which you can fax/e mail to them.

I did all that and ds1 was seen very quickly (the next week) and had a 2 hour assessment and then we went back a week later for the report on that assessment.

Our ds1 has several RR and is undergoing the excercise plan atm (early days) but it is already working. You go back every 8 weeks or so for them to be assessed and given new exercises. Its not a quick fix - takes approx 11 months.

HTH

magso Mon 04-Jul-11 13:16:11

Thanks pedalpants. I will get hold of a copy.

IndigoBell Mon 04-Jul-11 13:18:43

As well as INPP, hemispheres.org and the sound learning centre offer treatment.

Most standard OTs don't do it.

magso Mon 04-Jul-11 13:29:36

Thank you Becaroo. I see INPP is in Chester - a very long way away for us ( northern home counties) Can assessments be done elsewhere? I have filled in a questionare thing ( yes he scores very high) so I guess we'll see what happens.

IndigoBell Mon 04-Jul-11 13:32:21

Hemispheres is closer to you then.

magso Mon 04-Jul-11 13:53:58

Thank you Indigo. Hemisperes is indeed handy! Now all I have to do is get saving!

oddgirl Mon 04-Jul-11 15:57:52

Hi Magso-I have been going to that particular bramch of Hemispheres for nearly a year now and they have been great -DS (ASD/dyspraxia aged 6) has come on leaps and bounds. Feel free to PM me if you want more detail!

mumgoingcrazy Mon 04-Jul-11 20:11:00

We also go to Hemispheres but the Surrey branch. DD2 has come on leaps and bounds since starting RR. I'd highly recommend them.

magso Wed 06-Jul-11 08:56:35

Thank you Odd girl and mumgoingcrazy. I broached the subject with dh who rolled his eyes ( in that shes been googling/mumsnetting again way)! I was wondering if RPR OT might also help with sensory issues ( lots) and motor skills. I see it can help with primary eneuresis too - smile should have a hope emotion!
Thanks Oddgirl I will PM you.

blueShark Wed 06-Jul-11 10:05:50

magso - the sensory issues and motor skills tend to disappear once the retained reflexes are on the way to improve. What sensory issues are you concerned about? In addition you may notice anxiety also reduces and DC are more calm and cooperative. They fit better within their own body and soul.

DH also had that as an automatic answer each time I suggested an alternative therapy other than SALT/OT, there she goes again googling, reading books, mumsnetting but these 3 have helped me find so much information and help DS climb the improvement ladder. The financial aspect is hard to put up with by the results cannot be compromised. Dont mean to sound rude but ask your DH what does he have in mind to help your DS with his issues? Or let him do some research and convince himself RRT does help so much

magso Thu 07-Jul-11 09:00:47

Ds has lots of sensory issues - in that sense he seems very high on the ASD scale. Difficulties with wearing clothes uncomfortable seams/labels/trimmings/too tight or loose.) Licks ( hands windows others!) Chews ( clothes/fingers) Hums ( well its a time passing durge really) Figits hugs too tight, oversensitive to smells and noise. Throat clearing etc. Anxiety underlies most of his behaviours.
Have put ds on a waiting list as hemispheres. I will keep my hope tucked in!

blueShark Thu 07-Jul-11 13:44:14

from what I have read and experienced he is an ideal candidate for RRT. Hope he cooperates with the exercises and you see results quickly once you get started.

magso Thu 07-Jul-11 15:15:53

Thanks blueshark

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now