Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is there any help for hosuing iff your child has a disability?

(9 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 03-Jul-11 20:06:01

I think the answer is no but thought I'd check.

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jul-11 20:07:40

You could try to get a caf and invite housing there along with other professionals who believe you are a priority due to disability needs. Make sure you have a social worker.

used2bthin Sun 03-Jul-11 20:13:22

Thanks rainbowinthesky we don't have a social worker. Am not sure Dd would be able to have one? Also with disability needs would that just be if your home was unsuitable due to the child's needs?

Chundle Sun 03-Jul-11 20:31:12

What sort of help do you mean? Are you in social housing o trying to get on list etc or do you mean help with benefits or help with an extra room or adaptations?

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jul-11 20:31:57

In my limited experience you would have to be desperately in need of it due to disability to get it. You can get adaptions to your current home in light of disability.

used2bthin Sun 03-Jul-11 20:38:56

i'm not really sure, i MEAN EXTRA ROOM REALLY i THINK. hER ROOM IS TINY AND I am going to struggle to it a single bed in it. We are in a rented house that is more than we can afford and I hate it, no room, we'e moved to a small town so we could be away from the even higher city rents and i miss having friends and family round the corner. Don't think we'd get social housing so we privately rent.

Sorry this has just turned into a moan really am just fed up with no money and it seems dd's issues are growing so am worried I won't be able to work soon.

Chundle Sun 03-Jul-11 20:45:03

You will get higher priority as you have disabled child so got to council and get on list, you can always tell them you need to be near family to help out with your child as this will weigh heavily toward your case. Good luck x

Chundle Sun 03-Jul-11 20:47:40

Sorry forgot to say they will give you an extra bedroom in house if you need it for anything other than sleeping I.e to store equipment/wheelchair/pumps etc or maybe as a special playroom or something. My two dds should technically share a room due to their age but due to dd2 bad sleeping we got given a bigger house so they had a room each

used2bthin Sun 03-Jul-11 20:48:57

Thank you. I think we are on the list as put our names on when applying for a part rent part buy scheme but will check as may only be on that area one iyswim.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: