Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Satements - if statemented in one county and then you move house, what happens?

(6 Posts)
pinkytheshrinky Sun 03-Jul-11 10:08:55

That is it really, we live in West Sussex have a child with SN in a school in Hampshire. West Sussex are going to assess her but we will need to move (for the needs of an older child and getting her to school) so what happens then? Does the process start again or will the new county take on a statement created by another county?

pinkytheshrinky Sun 03-Jul-11 10:41:29

bump

HarrietJones Sun 03-Jul-11 10:49:52

Statement should transfer. Although LEAs may review quickly & tweak it.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 03-Jul-11 13:34:50

Yes, new LA has to honour the statement initially, they may decide to reassess to put their own spin on it but some don't. Ring up the potential LA to see what they say.

r3dh3d Sun 03-Jul-11 17:24:53

Statement will transfer, yes. In fact imo that's the most compelling reason for statementing and insisting on quantified provision even for things that the current school supplies automatically: your next LEA may be worse than your current one. And provision may be a completely different shape, so that stuff that is reasonably available in one place may be in short supply in another.

And, very cynically, it seems to me if the current LEA know you will move in a year or so, they are more likely to be reasonable about statementing, knowing they are making commitments someone else will be forced to honour.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 03-Jul-11 19:18:49

r3dh4d - yes I was saying just that to my DH about them splashing the cash knowing they wont have to do it for long. We are only at the start of the process but moving is inevitable (so many children and needs bigger house) and we need to be closer to school for my other dd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now