Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Delay in bladder and bowel control...am I right to think there is a problem here?

(16 Posts)
justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sat 02-Jul-11 12:15:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TotalChaos Sat 02-Jul-11 12:28:07

I honestly don't know, but certainly worth mentioning to the medics. Could it be related to the dyspraxia somehow? DS was delayed toilet training (didn't start until 3.5) but suddenly caught on virtually by himself iyswim.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sat 02-Jul-11 12:29:50

mumgoingcrazy Sat 02-Jul-11 14:41:00

I'm watching with interest!

My DD2 was 4, 2 weeks ago and same as you really. She has GDD and sensory issues. She has wee'd on the potty a couple of times but as a fluke rather than intentional.

Starts school in Sept so would love to crack it before then. She's going into a sn unit attached to a ms school so she doesn't have to be toilet trained, but I would like her to be.

The only tip I've had is from our retained reflexes therapist who said her spinal galant reflex is retained and this controls the sensation of the lower area and is a common reason to bedwetting, so we are currently working on releasing this reflex for the next 4 weeks, and then I'll give it another go.

Who knows, fingers crossed anyway.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sat 02-Jul-11 14:58:02

dolfrog Sat 02-Jul-11 17:15:23

You may find this new PubMed research paper collection Psyche and Gut , to which I am adding more research papers when i find them. There seems to have been an explosion of research interest in this over the last few years.

ilovesprouts Sat 02-Jul-11 19:51:09

my ds2 is 4.7 and still in nappys school are pt him hes got gdd/ld

farming4 Sat 02-Jul-11 22:02:48

Hi Ds (4+3) also has verbal dyspraxia and has only been fully trained for the last month (with the odd accident at night but he has Melatonin to help him sleep and I think its more a case of not waking in time). He was very similar to your DS and we had gone as far as having a referral to a consultant to check whether there was a physical problem. Anyway when the weather turned good earlier in the year we took the decision to take the nappy off and praise any move towards training. (tbh I was expecting wet floors and little "pressies" all over the housegrin) He started to take himself off out-side and had great fun weeing in the flowerbeds! From there he progressed to using the toilet - he never did sit on the potty - and then over a period of time he learnt his body cues for poos and started doing those in the toilet as well.

I'm not going to say it was easy or that it happened overnight but it did eventually click with him and he is now reasonably realiably clean both day and night. BUT it took a lot of wet and dirty pants, a refusal to put him back in nappies, a lot of stickers both at home and pre-school and loads of praise and jumping up and down when he managed to go in the right place.

I guess what I'm saying is that your ds should get there eventually but if you are worried, ask for a referral to the incontinance service just to rule out anything physical. Good luck x

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sat 02-Jul-11 22:35:37

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sun 03-Jul-11 18:57:13

pigletmania Sun 03-Jul-11 19:05:51

justabout mabey he is stressed, and making himself stressed, when he goes into the bath he relaxes and thats why he wees in there. Mabey take the stress off, don't mention toilet training or trying to wee etc to him, just leave his nappy off in the day rather like farming4 has done. Being able to go to the toilet can be related to stress, for example I had to give a urine sample as a child, my mum stood in the toilet and tried to make me go, I just couldent in front of her and when the pressure was put on, but when she went out i was able to.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sun 03-Jul-11 19:10:10

pigletmania Sun 03-Jul-11 19:16:13

Is your ds under the Paed? Have you talked to him/her about it, ask for a referral or see GP if not?

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sun 03-Jul-11 19:54:38

farming4 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:13:12

should add that the first "control" ds had was weeing in the bath! We also had the distress when he had an accident - of which we had many - especially when it was a No 2 but we just said "oh dear" (usually through gritted teeth grin) and he helped clear up. But he was so proud when he finally got it right. He still is very loose in his bowel movements but 9 times out of 10 he makes the loo. I assume its a result of the medication hes on that makes him loose but we're coping so it doesn't really matter. I really wish you the best of luck with your ds - I know there was a point when I thought ds'd never "get it".

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Mon 04-Jul-11 10:01:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now