Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help! Retained Reflexes or dyspraxia or both??

(6 Posts)
BlackL Fri 01-Jul-11 20:45:33

Hi wonder if anyone can help me??
Went to INPP assesment today and my son has ATNR, TLR and STNR retained reflexes. Also some tracking and convegence problems.
When reading up about these they explain the problems we are having.

Hes 6. Stuggling with reading, writing, coordination, balance, listening and concentration. Other than that he is very bright in my eyes and no behavioural problems etc.

I came home with so much hope that he does not have DCD/Dyspraxia (getting assessed in september). then went on the net and read on here about kids with dyspraxia and retained reflexes. bit confused now.

Does this mean he probably does still have dcd/dyspaxia along with retained reflexes? or could this therapy over next year or so be the cure and he doesnt have it after all???

anyone with similar experience and avoided a label/diagnois?

thanks smile

Minx179 Sun 03-Jul-11 18:52:39

It's difficult to give a definite answer as all DC's are different. Personally I would not go into RT expecting a 'cure', but hopefully the exercises will benefit him in the areas you listed above and you will see some progression in his skills.

I have read accounts of children being diagnosed Dyspraxic/Dyslexic, doing VT, losing the label, catching up and achieving academically. I have met some people who say that RT/VT has not helped their DC.

DS was diagnosed at 6 with Dyspraxia; he underwent RT for a year at 6, began VT at 7. This helped him significantly, but at nearly 16, he is still Dyspraxic and has struggled educationally.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sun 03-Jul-11 19:13:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Becaroooo Sun 03-Jul-11 21:02:44

My son is also being treated at INPP and has several retained reflexes. He is being assessed for dyslexia, dyspraxia and asd.

I agree with the poster who said that whilst the RRT will help you also need to get him referred to the child dev paed to get him assessed.

The sooner the help is given - and it WILL NOT be given without a dx of some sort - then the sooner your ds will benefit.

No one want to label their child, but no label = no help sad

DebbieSolloway Wed 19-Oct-11 08:18:01

BlackL. We got a INPP assessment done in July 2011. All the therapist told us is that our son retains many of his reflexes. Our son's handwriting has improved.
How has it been going for you?
I feel your pain about the labeling.

Hopstheduck Wed 19-Oct-11 08:36:57

My ot describes dyspraxia as the messages just not getting sent out correctly from the brain. Ds1 now has a DCD dx as she doesn't think he specifically has dyspraxia, but something else. ds1 is 9 now, and we've only just got a label. At 6 they thought it was dyspraxia, but didn't label him until jsut a few weeks ago.

Not having a label hasn't prevented him from getting therapy, respite, dla etc, but the biggest problem has been with schools. With no label to spell out that he does have issues there is no flag on his school record, so I got to the point where I NEEDED that label to ensure ds got support.

If he has dcd/dyspraxia, he can't be 'cured' but support and therapy would enable him to achieve a lot more and ease his symptoms. The label really isn't important, it is the support that you get and whether you need a label to get that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now