Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friday night chat, too tired...

(57 Posts)
EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 01-Jul-11 17:56:10

Sorry if this is a bit of an early start but I'm going out tonight, whoo hoo!

This week DS2 has got his tutor group through for secondary, he's with the other 3 from his school, and the colour of his house is green. How did they know? He's been obsessed with green for ever. My friend made me cry because her daughter is going to DS's school and she was allowed to put 2 children down as friends. She put a friend from her squash club and only my DS from her own school. Because she didn't want DS to be on his own. I've posted this elsewhere but it's worth repeating.

DS1 got the best report ever! 11 'A's for effort. It was DS3's birthday, so we've been to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and have karting tomorrow. (The 'K' is important apparently.)

On a hen do tonight, very sedate, all post 40 yo meal out, but still!

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 01-Jul-11 18:19:33

sounds like a good week ellen, AND a night out, wow grin

quietish week here but then no school yesterday for any of the dcs and today and monday inset for dd3 and ds1 so a bit more relaxed than usual. Ds1 has a couple of visits to his new school next week and hopefully dd3 will be visiting her new school the week after smile Counting the days down that are left till the end of term now!

catherinea1971 Fri 01-Jul-11 18:21:30

First post in the Friday night thread.....Sounds like a good week for you Ellenjanesmile And a night out, I'm green with envy!!
Well this week dd1 has (mostly) been sleeping better, long may it last!! And today I have taken the plunge and self referred dd2 for both portage and salt, really excited as they said they will send ds1's old portage lady, she is so lovely I cried when she had to stop coming to see us!! smilesmilesmile

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 01-Jul-11 18:28:53

Hi Ninja. Poor old DS3 had to go to school on strike day, his birthday, but DS1 didn't! Hope your DS1's visits go well. So exciting! (hopefully)

Hi catherinea, nice to see you here. How lovely to get back with old friends, but shame it means more SEN.

Starchart Fri 01-Jul-11 18:37:54

Lovely news about the sweet girl chosing your ds. Have fun on the Hen night EllenJane

We're off out too. To IKEA. Friday nights are pretty good there. The food is cheap and the kids get to play on someone elses furniture. Friday nights are pretty quiet.

DS said something lovely today. I was explaining a couple of days ago that the flowers petals are all curly because it was hot and they were thirsty.

When ds asked for a drink he told me that he was thirsty and his bones were curly. grin

School are driving me up the wall. They have asked in his home school book why he hums constantly. I can't believe they have gone a whole year and not noticed but ffs, they should understand about stimming by now, particularly since today they had the autism outreach person in for the whole session.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 01-Jul-11 18:49:08

Saw that thread, star! Didn't really know how to respond, maybe a biscuit ? I suppose it's progress of sorts that they have noticed it now, or do you think it was the outreach lady? I hope your DS ends up with a class of tolerant, thoughtful children like my DS did. (with one notable exception, but that's OK, DS bit him, he deserved it!)

Never planned a night out in Ikea, but ours love the meatballs!

signandsmile Fri 01-Jul-11 18:59:59

i like the meatballs too! (hi everyone...) had a really good week this week, ds is now flushing the loo and enjoying it, (yay!) grin

I am here alone, grin grin have taken dh and ds to nanny's in london for a couple of nights, (no pre-school today). so I can really get to grips with my (shamefully) blush messy house.

Have been to the tip, the charity shop and the furnture project, another tip trip tomorrow and am sitting putting in all the photos in an album.

am signandsmug, grin!! am now considering a PGCE next year, (to teach adults) am gonna have a meeting with the local college to see if it is right thing for me/us.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 01-Jul-11 19:04:17

A w/e without the kids, hmm, is that better than a night out? I've got to go in a mo to put some glad rags on.

What would you want to teach adults, sign? Literacy and numeracy skills?

signandsmile Fri 01-Jul-11 19:21:34

Hi ellen I lecture for the OU on their Social Work Degree, (been doing it last 5 years)

so now i have abit of time, (ha ha) when ds goes to school in Sept, thought I should really get a teaching qualification to go along side the Social Work one.

grin

creatovator Fri 01-Jul-11 19:30:40

Hi Everyone. Sounds like most people have had some good things happening this week.

Ellenjane - Hope you enjoy the hen night.

Starchart - Definitely agree about IKEA. One of our favourite haunts too.

Catherinea - Glad you've got lovely portage lady returning. Doesn't it make such a difference when the professionals are like that smile

My week's been mixed. Dcs are off school for holidays now. DS got a placement at a playscheme for this past week and next week, giving me time with DD and juggling work too. DD is being great some times and not so great at others. DS is being great.

Have been on antibiotics for sinusitus and had to go to dentist for root canal treatment. Appointment last 1 hour.sad. Got and antibiotic dressing in tooth and have to go back for more treatment in 2 weeks. sad sad

Twas my birthday has weekend and got lots of money cos didn't know what to ask for. Have spent it on a Wii and having great fun grin.

Just heard today that the Ethics Committee at Uni have passed my MSc research project so I can get on with that after summer grin grin.

Sorry - bit of a long post blush.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 01-Jul-11 19:31:55

So, a sort of retrospective qualification? wink Well, I'm off now, maybe catch some of you later? Just the final late night posse.

Hi all

wine not yet open here - but will have to partake.

Just got back from Old McDonalds as calls Maccy D's as he has to go to a "restaurant" when he gets his report. All good academically (y1 - all above average except writing) - just the social stuff like sharing, taking turns, behaviour etc not so good but that is to be expected......

Finally got my income protection claim agreed through work so will now be on half pay instead of £67.50 a week Employment and Support Allowance so definitely worth a celebration grin and have an appointment with a surgeon next week.

Ellen Woooo to going out

Star I love you planning a night out in Ikea. If I lived closer to one, I would pinch that idea grin

Sign enjoy the tidying - mine is still in the hallway. I haven't made it anywhere with it!

Welcome Catherine

creatovator sad to the dentist - I'm phobic and have been putting it off. Even thinking of you going to the dentist makes me shiver.

creatovator Fri 01-Jul-11 19:36:23

Hi Ben10 - Good news about the report and income protection claim. Well done all round. grin

creatovator Fri 01-Jul-11 19:38:34

Ben10 -wish I'd gone before. Had a niggle for ages. Maybe wouldn't be in this position now if went when started. Did go in Jan, but they couldn't find anything. Had xray this time. That's what showed what was wrong.

Don't blame you for not liking the thought.Won't harp on anymore.

signandsmile Fri 01-Jul-11 19:52:26

sending you postive toothy vibes create (had abscess and root canal filling earlier in year)

I was so scared, had been putting it off, but my dentist was so gentle and let me sniffle and hold the hygenist's hand, blush

hey ben10 sounds like a good week!

I stiffen up so much in the chair due to panic. I can't go through that at the moment as already have so many issues with my neck that require fixing that don't want to make it worse through the dentist. I literally shake the whole way through any visit. What makes it even madder is that my brother has just qualified as a hygenist and dental therapist (which means that he can do fillings and remove teeth shock and I couldn't even go to see him.

yes sign finally a good week smile

Also put the EP in their place by emailing them with a "if you didn't assess him, I'm not sure what you are going to report back to me about" type email. Surprisingly enough, DS is now going to be assessed.

Also finally plucked up the courage to face up to the head formally in writing to request that the provision that DS needs, only social skills and daily OT, be given to him from Sept. She is now looking into it. Irritating beyond all belief SENCO just rejected outright! SEN team at the LEA said that they should definitely be providing it so watch this space.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Fri 01-Jul-11 20:02:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

woo hoo Justa

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Fri 01-Jul-11 20:08:01

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 01-Jul-11 20:15:01

that's fantastic justa, they're not a myth then grin I love the NRM, haven't been for ages, bit of a treck from here unfortunately.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 01-Jul-11 20:17:43

oooooh and another vote here for ikea meatballs, at least they have plenty of highchairs and child sized cutlery!

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Fri 01-Jul-11 20:19:37

creatovator Fri 01-Jul-11 20:21:27

Great news Justa - sounds like you had a lovely time. Never heard of them what do they do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now