Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS2, 23 months speech (or lack of)

(15 Posts)
LeninGrad Fri 01-Jul-11 15:05:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saladsandwich Fri 01-Jul-11 15:22:51

do they do a 2 year check in your area? or can you give your health visitor a call? ds was refered for speech therapy at 18 months by the gp but usually in my area they refer at the 2 year check... my ds had pretty much no speech or noises at 24 months and didn't play "properly" with toys like dolls ect, he started talking at 28months now at 30 months he is up to about 90 words and is now copying what i say which is major progress, my ds also loses words he knows.

do you have any other concerns or just the speech? i know with ds i had concerns from him being a baby but definitely ask for someones opinion X

LeninGrad Fri 01-Jul-11 15:36:17

saladsandwich Fri 01-Jul-11 15:48:48

theres more experience on here than me, but if you have concerns definitely speak to someone, speech therapy as done wonders for ds, i was told that they are more concerned when there is more than one issue other than speech, at 2 my ds wasn't playing with tea sets, dolls ect correctly and wasn't linking objects together like nappies with babies ect but he is now x

Chundle Fri 01-Jul-11 16:06:00

Lenin your ds sounds a bit like my dd and they are the same age. She can't say any body parts though but does have some words (around 13) but they aren't clear and hardly anyone can understand her. She gets frustrated too. She has had a few speech therapy sessions and they have started her on pecs as they suspect verbal/oral dyspraxia but she has other issues as well. Pecs is working fantastically well for her

LeninGrad Fri 01-Jul-11 16:10:44

TotalChaos Fri 01-Jul-11 16:13:19

TBH I'ld be concerned about possible verbal dyspraxia given what you describe. I would call up speech therapy department direct, see if you can self-refer, rather than going through HV/GP. If appointment likely to take several months, I would seriously consider going private. How does he communicate that he wants something, out of interest?

LeninGrad Fri 01-Jul-11 16:19:27

farming4 Fri 01-Jul-11 16:43:49

Hi sounds just like my ds (4). we were referred at our 2 yr check to speech therapy and we now know ds has verbal dyspraxia. Again like your ds, mine made a lot of throat noises and got very frustrated - he "lost" words and sounds cos he just gave up trying as he found no-one understood what he wanted so he decided "why bother". He also had the musicality of speech and would "sing" along to fav nursery rhymes using "uh uh uh" in place of the words but would have the tune iyswim. The SaLT suggested teaching him Makaton (think Mr Tumble) and the change was amazing! We got our happy sociable little boy back who could make his needs and wants understood! Now in the transition to "big" school and they are gonna incorporate the signing into the classroom so he can be part of what is going on. Hes also now confident and comfortable enough to try making word sounds but this is only in the last couple of months.

Would definately give your hv a call or speak to your GP for referral and assessment. In the meantime try some signs or perhaps make a board with pictures of things he might want eg juice, milk, fav toy, mum, dad, db etc just so he can point to what he wants. Good luck.

working9while5 Fri 01-Jul-11 18:09:41

Hi LeninGrad

Lots of good stuff but does sound like an assessment is warranted. Keep doing everything you are doing with language. Talk to him, read books, follow his focus, reduce questions, take turns talking.. all that jazz.

Syllables - Play with them. Sing sounds with cvc words that can be put into cvcv shapes too e.g. mum/mummy; bye bye baby; dad, daddy

This sounds mad, but I have really seen it work.

To the tune of Camptown Races...
Mum mum mummy mum mum mum MUMMY MUMMY
Mum mum mummy mum mum mum Mum Mum Mum Mum MUM

Bye bye baby, bye bye bye, BABY BABY etc

He just needs to hear it. You don't have to make him do it. Sing it in the car or in the bath etc.

Lots of "bye" games - hide something/anything and find it again. Night night to everything and anything, lots of repetition.

Outside - Bye bye ball! as you kick or throw it

Don't worry about final consonant deletion at this stage (e.g. tee for teeth), but a bit of focused stimulation on the syllables might be good.

And an assessment.

LeninGrad Fri 01-Jul-11 20:54:25

Chundle Fri 01-Jul-11 21:00:28

Our salt is a bit at a loss with dd as she doesn't make any attempt to babble or say the words that salt try's to ge her to say. We've been doing loads of Tongue and mout and blowing exercises with her. Salt said she thinks dd has most likely got verbal or oral dyspraxia but doesn't want to slap her with a label just yet. Dd doesn't say any words for juice/drink she just makes a fab slurping noise smile

working9while5 Fri 01-Jul-11 22:40:47

The songs I posted encourage babble Chundle. Straight from the pen of Caroline Bowen who is a MAJOR international expert in this area.

I hate to tell you this Chundle but there is no evidence-base for non-speech oromotor exercises.

What you want to work on at that stage is getting any voluntary control of speech/copying. Playing games with a microphone taking turns making any sound is a good starting point. Combined with ++ motivation.

LeninGrad Fri 01-Jul-11 22:59:29

zzzzz Fri 01-Jul-11 23:51:15

My sons problems are now more language than speech, but he had very few words at 20-30 months. Your son sounds like he is pointing and joining in well, which is great.

I would self refer to SALT.

But for me the main things that have helped is

1] Keeping firmly in the front of my mind that I meed to make language powerful for my ds. This in effect means that it has to work really well when he does talk, if he mispronounces I echo the correct pronunciation, but otherwise I basically respond enthusiastically to all his attempts. I never ignore him and for instance when he was very non-verbal he had to say "up" for a piggyback.....VERY tiring.

2] I try to remember a really great statistic I read in Late Talking Children that about 80% of children with receptive and expressive problems improved significantly by the age of 8 to within normal ranges. Personally for me if the percentage is even 10% [and I am always a little on my back foot about statistics unless I actually read the study] I think it is worth putting your best foot forward and acting as though it will work out OK [kind of self conscious optimism], because if it does that would be best and if it doesn't really you have lost nothing [in that you will be heart broken having hoped for the best but you son will have been given the best chance].

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now