Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Please help - is anyone able to recommend an ABA-friendly Ed Psych or have David Urani's details?

(20 Posts)
electra Thu 30-Jun-11 19:11:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

electra Thu 30-Jun-11 20:21:16

Agnesdipesto Thu 30-Jun-11 20:41:45

Alan Willis
allanwillis@hotmail.co.uk
0208 - 361 7377
Reports can be a bit brief but are very reasonable pricewise.
Good oral evidence at Tribunal

electra Thu 30-Jun-11 20:50:14

BialystockandBloom Thu 30-Jun-11 21:38:50

David Urani details here

He is likely to be booked up rather a long way ahead so speak to him asap - we've recently booked an assessment with him and his first availability is October.

BialystockandBloom Thu 30-Jun-11 21:39:31

Oh and yes his costs are about the same as Alan Willis.

Agnesdipesto Thu 30-Jun-11 21:50:42

I think we only paid about £500 for report and same again for tribunal
I agree his report was a bit 'thin'
I told him so grin and he said he would fill it out at tribunal which to be fair he did, but bit last minute larry
If you are eligible for legal aid that will pay for reports (we weren't eligible at time but sadly getting poorer by the week - look up legal aid calculator
Was also guy called Michael Davies michaelndavies@talk21.com but he quoted £1500 and told me with the regression I was describing my son's chances were pretty desperate so I was too upset to follow that up - and as it turns out he was wrong as DS doing well.
PEACH might have a list.

electra Thu 30-Jun-11 22:05:06

electra Thu 30-Jun-11 22:06:48

Starchart Thu 30-Jun-11 22:19:23

He isn't known for being pro-ABA.

He is known for being not especially ABA. This helps if he recommends ABA for you as he comes across as unbiased and independent.

electra Thu 30-Jun-11 22:32:14

Starchart Thu 30-Jun-11 22:35:54

Okay, well I've used DU and I cried when he left. He is quite brutally honest. I can't blame him for that. As parents we need the truth if we are to have any chance of getting the provision right for our children. But be warned.

FWIW he DID recommend ABA for ds.

silverfrog Fri 01-Jul-11 08:41:18

electra, we used DU.

Star is right - he is brutally honest, but then I liked that about him (and had known he would be).

SR knows him well, and recommends him too. DU is not pro ABA at all, but will recommend if in the best interests of the child (a true "look at the child and recommend what is needed, not toe the LA line, or say what the parents have paid me to say".) he spent the first half of his day with dd1 (at her ABA school) htinking he would not be able to recommend she stay there - and told us this - but then saw exactly why it was needed. He likes SR's style of ABA, and calls that "the acceptable face of ABA" grin.

Other posters are right - he does get very booked up, and spends large parts of the year in Australia too, so book well ahead if possible.

asulikeit Fri 01-Jul-11 08:49:29

Hi Electra

We used Alan Willis recently cost of report £780 Visit to school £500 Appearance at Tribunal £650 very expensive for what we got . We want an aba school but we were recommended to take the school that the LA provided.

Please be careful who you chose as so many do not act in the way they should considering the amount of money they charge.

electra Fri 01-Jul-11 09:46:40

silverfrog Fri 01-Jul-11 09:52:12

<lalalalalalla fingers in ears, there is no world outside of ABA> grin

we have just been consulting SR again, as a school move is on the cards - dd1 still only 6, though, and we are definitely still aiming for ABA... it makes my head hurt just thinking about it now, when we do have a couple of ABA options - let alone the future when we might not...

am not looking forward to the LA wrangling again, though.

electra Fri 01-Jul-11 10:03:14

silverfrog Fri 01-Jul-11 10:06:54

yes, definitely. SR (and DU - unofficially asked via SR) agree she still needs ABA - no way would she cope in MS, even with full ABA support.

we are fortunately placed, and have a couple of options (assuming they have space!), but doubt the LA will make it easy (although they settled before tribunal, and did not contest her annual review - did not even attend the arranged meeting...)

moving also an option, if necessary (done before, would do again) but now has a knock on effect for dd2 as wll, s she is about to go into reception come September, and loves her school (is at the pre-school there at the moment)

Agnesdipesto Fri 01-Jul-11 22:01:21

Legal aid still around for now. Bill to change legal aid just going through Parliament so may take months to get on statute books but it KEPT legal aid for SEN issues. I guess there must be a dispute eg JR or Tribunal to get it, they won't do reports I guess unless you have appealed something.
Am trying to find out if they are keeping it on parent or child's income.
Treehouse thread said was going to change to name of child
Of course any concession on legal aid makes me very suspicious

electra Fri 01-Jul-11 23:15:30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now