Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SEN Green Paper consultation closes tomorrow 30 June 2011

(8 Posts)
TheTimeTravellersWife Wed 29-Jun-11 17:29:50

I have already sent my response; wrote a bloody thesis!

Here is a link to the consultation page.

www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1748&external=no&menu=1

The deadline for online responses is 30th June 2011 until 23:45. They will accept written responses up until 1st July 2011.

So there is still time to let them know what we all think of the SEN system!

In my opinion, for what its worth, one of the big issues is the need to separate the assessment from the body funding the provision; the LA should not be both judge and jury as this creates a clear conflict of interest.
There needs to be some means other than Judicial Review to force a LA to provide the provision in the Statement, when they are just blatantly ignoring it, and stringing parents along with endless excuses.
SENDIST should be able to make an award of costs against LAs that act unreasonably, such as by issuing illegal Statements, that do not quantify and specify the provision to be made. This would be far more effective in reaching an agreement before Tribunal than the proposed compulsory mediation.
The whole system needs to be policed effectively; at the moment it is left up to parents to take on the LAs that act unlawfully and issues illegal Statements and it is an uneven battle, with the odds stacked against parents.

NotOnUrNelly Wed 29-Jun-11 22:40:16

I'm trying to fill it in, but the questions are hard sad

mycarscallednev Thu 30-Jun-11 10:19:15

Filled mine out last night and sent it at 23.58, so hope they recieved it before the deadline. They may wish they hadn't as two glasses of wine and a bad experience of the school and SEN system made me very 'honest' with them!
I am sure they make the questions so hard to get your head around to put you off responding. The english and grammer were dreadful, one question was a sentence as long as a paragraph that just didn't make any sence at all! I also wondered why as parents of an SEN child we were not notified that this was an option, that we could comment - I only found out via Mumsnet yesterday - hence the last minute form fill out last night!

TheTimeTravellersWife Thu 30-Jun-11 13:21:46

Don't worry about the grammar - it is getting your views across that matters! I didn't answer all the questions; some were just beyond me to answer.
The deadline is tonight, if anyone else still wants to comment.

Starchart Thu 30-Jun-11 18:38:06

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/1249038-How-many-of-you-TEACHERS-are-supporting-parents-that-are-being-shafted-Please-sign-in

moondog Thu 30-Jun-11 21:30:03

There's still time to contribute.
Come on-don't just whinge.
Make a difference to how things are run!!

FickleFreckle Thu 30-Jun-11 21:46:37

I did it last night and found it a nightmare - I felt the questions were worded in such a way that it was hard to give negative feedback - and I was unclear what to write where as the questions seemed to go on for ages. I found myself writing careful mini-essays at the beginning and skipping questions and dashing off one-liners at the end because it all took so much longer than I thought I would and my dd and dh were getting agitated (I actually heard my dh mutter something about an "spending hours on an exercise in pointlessness angry) Still, it's done. I really really do want to hear other people's opinions on the Green Paper even though I'm sadly too knackered to give my own right now...I can't even type properly!

TheTimeTravellersWife Thu 30-Jun-11 22:13:54

Well done for taking the time and making the effort to get through it! I agree that there were far too many questions and some of them were what I would call "leading questions". I ignored any "spin" created by the questions and just concentrated on getting my views across. It will be interesting to know how many responses they received and how many were from parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now