Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The small things that have made you smile today............

(28 Posts)

DS showed me that at 6 years old he has learnt to walk down the stairs "properly" one foot on one step rather than like a toddler. Just one small thing but one that will reduce the amount that he looks "different" at school.

His storage (Trofast) was all in stock in Ikea so hopefully organising his toys will help him with his dyspraxia and lack of play - thanks Justa for reminding me to do this.

HT has replied to my very polite letter asking for consideration to daily sensory diet and social skills groups from September even though I only gave it in this morning. First time I have her acknowledgement of his SN in writing even if it is only to say that she will come back to me once she has discussed with outside agencies etc.........

Feeling positive today and as if all of the "honking" has been working grin

unpa1dcar3r Wed 29-Jun-11 18:02:22

Lovely news Ben10.
I've had (still have) my 15 month old gorgeous grand daughter here all day. She sure kept me on me toes! Can see why they make mummys young and nannys old!
Turned my back for a few seconds and there she is completely in the tumble drier with her head out. Had to take a pik of that to send her mum, she laughed her head off. Then she's up on the windowsill in the conservatory banging on the glass to get the sheeps attention in the field...been up and down the stairs with her all day...I think she's trying to give me heart failure! Thank goodness grandads home to take over!!!

My son doesn't walk down stairs properly yet, he's 12, still 2 feet on each but he has flat vision (no 3D) so doubt he'll ever master it but hey so what he's the bes tuncle to his niece. Elder son is good with her as long as he doesn't have to do anything with her which disrupts his telly viewing! wink

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 29-Jun-11 18:02:28

Hi Ben10. Glad you had a good day. smile

Found out today that DS will be in the same tutor group next year as all the other 3 children going up from his primary school. One of the girls had put him on her form as one of her 2 choices of friend because 'she didn't want him to be on his own.' Not a special friend or anything. Brought a tear to my eye! blush

Chundle Wed 29-Jun-11 18:07:11

Dd2 who struggles with speech has a new word which she has repeated loudly to everyone she has seen and the new word is....... Dick!

Becaroooo Wed 29-Jun-11 18:10:53

Ds2 told me he loved me (he is 2.9)

Ds1 (8) didnt have a meltdown last night just because we went out....he was very uptight but no major issues smile After the drama the last time we went out...this is fab progress!

Love hearing the good news from everyone -

Unpaid - definitely sounds like she has kept you busy! bet the tumble drier photo was great!

grin chundle - that is DS's favourite word!

Ellen - how sweet of her smile

Becaroo - how nice to have good news from you

Becaroooo Wed 29-Jun-11 18:15:41

ben I know! I have been a right moaning old bag lately havent I??? grin

No, you've been stressed and i gain a whole lot from being able to come on here and winge so felt today was a good day so wanted to share! grin

Becaroooo Wed 29-Jun-11 18:25:53

Lovely to hear ben smile

signandsmile Wed 29-Jun-11 18:30:13

lovely news everyone!

Today ds flushed the loo, himself!!! (in a year we have gone from he can't even be in room when it is done to doing it himself!) so so proud! grin grin.

Yay minisign. What a massive step!

Chundle Wed 29-Jun-11 19:30:41

I love the words kids come out with Ben smile

BialystockandBloom Wed 29-Jun-11 20:58:57

Oh I love the warm fuzzy threads like this smile

Like becaroo ds (ASD) told me he loved me today - unprompted. And added "sweetheart" to it too. Shortly afterwards I was told "yes but don't make a fuss" grin

And he did some fantastic tree-climbing today with another boy.

Also found out that the school we want is going to be named on the statement, and they will accept our ABA tutors - hurrah!

Ellenjane how lovely <lump in throat>

Galena Wed 29-Jun-11 21:06:56

DD has gone from not walking independently a month ago (she's 2.2, born at 27 weeks, recently diagnosed with cerebral palsy recently) to taking 36 steps today completely unaided - and turned 180 degrees within those 36 steps!

moosemama Wed 29-Jun-11 21:10:56

Am loving all this positive news! Well done all your dcs. smile

My ds1, who is still poorly and has spent much of the day, actually noticed when my Mum started crying today and asked her what was wrong. shock She was just crying quietly in the chair on the other side of the room (she's worried about one of my sisters) and he looked up and said, "What's the matter - please don't cry Grandma". She was so shocked, she actually did stop crying as well! grin

He also chose to do a 200 point dot-to-dot of his own volition and did a fantastic job of it. I bought him the book last summer to help with his fine motor skills and while he loved the idea, he's not one to sit and do colouring/drawing so barely paid it any attention. I was gobsmacked when he got it out and sat to the table with it this afternoon.

Dd (2.5) has had us in stitches today, prancing around the place, strking a pose and shouting "AND I'M AN ELF! TOOT! TOOT!" (from Ben and Holly). Ds1 didn't like it when I joined in though and got very shirty telling me that I am most certainly not an elf - I am a Mummy! grin

I got relegated at bed time last night!! for the last 3 years, (every night) I've had to stay with her after lights out for 10 mins, just stroking her back and shhhhing attempts at chatter.

last night DH came in, she got cross (as usual) and I asked her why she doesn't like daddy coming in at bed time. she said she thinks I will give daddy my attention so we talked about how she has 2 peoples attention and having mummy and daddy was twice as good as just mummy. She then jumped all over DH, told him she loved him (normally she says she hates him and only loves mummy!) then she asked him to stay and put her to bed!

I was sent downstairs to watch telly!!! grin

JackTheNipper Thu 30-Jun-11 08:31:10

Ds (2.9) CP only having a few words which all sound the same, has started babbling da da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa etc I'm so pleased!

davidsotherhalf Thu 30-Jun-11 08:40:37

just realised dd has mastered the facial expressions, well i think she has lol, driving down the road i pointed out a pink car asking if she liked it, she replied oh no i don't like that car it's an angry car, she pointed out cars have faces,

queenoffairies Thu 30-Jun-11 08:46:12

DD has finally been awarded DLA! I first applied and appealed when she was 7, again when she was 12 - but got nothing each time, and 5 weeks ago I put in yet another application (along with every single letter/report I had for her) - and money has gone in my bank today, medium care and low mobility.

I am so knackered by the whole experience, but I do admit it feels good that people are finally starting to recognise her additional needssmile

Loving all of these positive stories on a nice sunny morning smile

My happy news for today is that DSs horrible teacher is on strike. The HT is taking the class so hopefully DS will perform grin

Yay Queenoffairies We got ours 2 weeks ago and I was absolutely astounded that he was awarded and so so relieved that it was over!

queenoffairies Thu 30-Jun-11 09:16:25

Thanks Ben10. I am just trying to figure out what I need to do next/who to contact etc.confused

Yay for your award toosmile

blueShark Thu 30-Jun-11 09:19:22

DS1 who is off school today and very happy about it coming downstairs as DS2 eating breakfast (and getting ready for nursery) and says "no nursery, name lets play"! DS2 replies "ok then" and goes upstairs to play together for 15 mins when I had to break the game and do the nursery run.

DS1 has delayed social comms so this is a great step forward for us and certainly has put a smile on my face on this sunny day. Taking him swimming in a min.

Well done little ben for such a big step forward, come and encourage DS1 please smile

Well done to everyone on the positive news.

hildathebuilder Thu 30-Jun-11 09:59:52

MY DS with CP has started to commando crawl about the place to throw his balls at his mum, and woke up with no wheeze for the first time since he was discharged from hopsital on Staurday having had a really nasty respitatory infection all of last week.

bdaonion Thu 30-Jun-11 12:16:32

Heart-warming to hear all these positive tales!

Just to share, my DD (5.0, SLI) is learning the art of negotiation. She wanted some pancakes after supper last night and neither me or DP felt like making them. She said "Daddy if you make pancakes I stay in my own bed all night and you cuddle mummy". DP was mixing batter within the minute!

And she did grin.

Becaroooo Thu 30-Jun-11 12:18:01

Great to hear such good news from everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now