Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'programmes for primary' statement related.

(5 Posts)
feynman Wed 29-Jun-11 15:23:51

Hi I just wondered if anyone here whose children go to primary school and are statemented, could let me know what if any programmes are written into your childs statement and how these are worded. My sons proposed statement mentions the social use of language programme,. the time to talk programme, write from the start etc.

These are mentioned but simply say he may benefit from doing these prgrammes but no details as to who sets up, monitors, delivers etc and how often etc etc. I'm obviously arguing over these but just wondered how this is done elsewhere.

Thanks

IndigoBell Wed 29-Jun-11 15:28:39

You have 'write from the start' written into a statement!

Wow. It's a really standard handwriting intervention, which can be done at home or at school.

Very surprised a statement would specify it. (Not surprised your child needs it and is doing it - just didn't think it would be written into a statement.)

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 29-Jun-11 19:55:44

feynman,

Have you also sought independent advice from one of the organisations out there like IPSEA, ACE, SOSSEN regarding this document?. I would tell them parts 2 and 3 as it stands and they will tell you what is should actually state,

Parts 2 and 3 are highly important and need to be bang on right. If the LEA have screwed this up in terms of providing provision and you agree to the content, it is very hard to get it put right subsequently. It needs to be retuned now before it is finalised.

Provision in the Statement needs to be both specified and quantified as per case law, if it is not as seemingly is the case here you need to reject it out of hand.

If the proposed statement says something along the lines of "X may benefit from"... this is not properly specified as required by case law. You need "X will receive...." in that document.

Marne Wed 29-Jun-11 20:02:27

Dd2's statement mentions 'social use of language programme' as on your dc's statement, it also mentions TEACH (sp).

feynman Wed 29-Jun-11 21:35:38

Hi, tbh we have tribunal next month. We have moved forward a lot from where we were and have now got specificaton over things like salt that I am happy with. Its just things like this. The problem is the lea are not being more specific as 'its not mentioned in the ep's report'. Which it wont be since they are instructed not to do this hmm.

I was just wondering what others were like and how 'specifically' they are worded. I'm wanting it to say things like xxx will follow x programme which will be set up by xxx and delivered by xxxx at least xxxx weekly in small groups of no more thatn xxxxx. etcv etc, but I'm just wondered if Im expecting to much for this sort of programme.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: