Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Government proposes biggest reforms to special educational needs in 30 years

(122 Posts)
CQrrrnee Wed 29-Jun-11 13:30:18

online consultation closes tomorrow - last chance to reply
here

moondog Wed 29-Jun-11 19:17:41

It's great news and will lead to much better and more joined up provision for kids with SEN.

TheTimeTravellersWife Wed 29-Jun-11 20:19:20

Oh I do hope that's true moondog. But with this Government's track record on disability, I fear the worse, and that this will be yet another cost cutting exercise...prettily dressed up, but cost cutting nevertheless'

moondog Wed 29-Jun-11 20:42:40

I think people should stop fixating on cost and start thinking about effectiveness which is possible without great expense.
The present system is incredibly costly and frankly, bloody useless.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that throwing more money at it will fix it-it won't.

TheTimeTravellersWife Wed 29-Jun-11 21:04:18

My personal experience of the SEN system has been that the support my daughter needs has not been provided and it is the cost of the support that has clearly been the LAs motivation for refusing it. I agree that money is wasted - a prime example being my LA taking us all the way to Tribunal in the face of irrefutable evidence, and then employing a barrister to represent them, that was truly a waste of public money!

moondog Wed 29-Jun-11 21:05:30

Exactly Spending taxpayers' money to prove a stupid point because you didn't brown nose!

working9while5 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:43:50

I just responded!

I used the Batman comment moondog grin. I also bleated on about talked a lot about the need to embed proper EBP across the public sector and enforce adherence to it and proper data collection and analysis at all levels with inspections and sanctions for non-compliance.

Less meetings about meetings. Efficient paperwork. Self-esteem is not a SMART target etc etc.

moondog Thu 30-Jun-11 07:27:53

Hehe!
It's a handy one, that.

Starchart Thu 30-Jun-11 10:12:07

If I hadn't experienced the LA provision and 'service' first hand I would be against these cuts.

However, I fought with all my might to get adequate provision for my ds and despite having won his right to it (for most part) the delivery quite frankly was not worth the effort.

I do not believe this government is particularly keen to promote the wellbeing of vulnerable groups. I expect the model they would like to see is SEN provision cut by 50%. However, I also expect the 50% that is left to be more under parents control.

If my ds has 50% less provision but it was provision that worked then IMHO that is what I would prefer.

moondog Thu 30-Jun-11 13:27:19

I think that is the way I see it Star.
Data driven evidence based outcomes, not more £60 000 'sensory' rooms (my pet hate)

bochead Fri 01-Jul-11 11:25:23

A fortune (in my eyes) has been spent on meetings etc for my son without him ever getting an hours theraputic intervention.

Timely assessment of need, measurable targets set and then timely intervention measured against those targets. Self-esteem is raised by default when a child has a sense of achievement. Concrete targets kills two birds with one stone.

I haven't yet recovered from the meeting where they wanted to put a bright year 2 kid in nursery so he'd be "happy". At least 4 of those present are on £50K+ per year to make choices like that.

You could cut 90% of the people,( and therefore the money spent by various agencies) who have have DS on their case load without my DS or myself noticing any difference (bar reduced stress) at the moment. After a long fight to get it, it's an untrained, inexperienced 21 year old low paid TA who has most direct influence on my child's education right now.

Giving back some of the power to the parents would be fantastic. I'm beginning to really resent how much of my parenting effort and time is spent on the "system" and not directly concentrating on my child, home and family life (late nights on everything from DLA forms, to prepping for & attending meetings and tribunal application etc). I doubt I'm the only Mum that feels this way.

Put 50% of the current budget under this Mum's control and make those responsible for service delivery accountable and I KNOW my DS would acheive to his potential.

moondog Fri 01-Jul-11 22:29:19

'After a long fight to get it, it's an untrained, inexperienced 21 year old low paid TA who has most direct influence on my child's education right now.'

BNochead, the terrifying fact is that that is how it is most of the time, irrespective of how much one has to fight.

Parents need to wake up to this fact.
It is the single most important thing to know.

CQrrrneee Fri 01-Jul-11 22:50:20

moondog I disagree

moondog Fri 01-Jul-11 22:54:24

Ok.
Care to elaborate? smile

CQrrrneee Fri 01-Jul-11 23:03:38

well (I have had wine!) I think you're saying that the untrained 21 year old is all that there is so parents need to just accept it. If that is what you're saying then I don't agree for various reasons ( depending on the LEA).

moondog Fri 01-Jul-11 23:06:17

Nooo I'm not saying that at all.
Just the opposite.I am saying that is what they will try to fob you off with.
A lot of important people with hefty salaries and important sounding jobs will create the illusion that they actually see and deal with your child.
They don't.
They just fob everything off onto an ill equipped individual and drop in now and again and claim to offer 'support' and 'advice'.

CQrrrneee Fri 01-Jul-11 23:10:29

oohh sorry! I blame the wine <glares at wine>

moondog Fri 01-Jul-11 23:16:37

grin

appropriatelytrained Sat 02-Jul-11 00:00:35

I agree Moondog. It is certainly what I am experiencing and that leaves me with a quandry - do you spend lots of money 'fighting' for your child's provision which will ultimately be delivered by someone who might not even get on with your child or have any training based on the insights of someone who barely knows your child if at all?

Is that worth £3000 of legal and expert fees?

I doubt it but what else do you do? Let the LA trample all over parents and deliver crap without question?

Or fight and get more crap - if you're lucky?

Even with a S&LT of our own working with school, we are still tied to crap targets and who would give a child the time of day without the statementing provision that schools are legally obliged to implement. If they would, I would use that money to pay for proper services rather than fight for crap.

So - what do you do? I've a Tribunal in 2 weeks and I'm just about to throw away the year's holiday money and for what?

CQrrrneee Sat 02-Jul-11 00:05:25

well I agree with moondog now that I know what she was talking about!
<makes mental to stick to the drunk thread in future on Friday nights>

electra Sat 02-Jul-11 00:07:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moondog Sat 02-Jul-11 00:44:02

AT, I think the only way is to familiarise yourself with the extensive guidance and professional standards governing the professions that exist ostensibly to support your child.

They all insist on data driven evidence based practice.
Quote it at them and demand to see evidence of it.
Refuse to accept ill founded 'professional opinion' (which often covers a wealth of sins.)

Keep telling them it is not good enough.
Try not to have a mental breakdown as you do so. sad

Starchart Sat 02-Jul-11 01:10:22

AT, I am in a completely ridiculous position of having to spend more on a tribunal than the total cost of the provision I am asking for, which incidentally costs less than the LA provision.
My arse is it about money, it is about who controls the money, not how much is spent.

dolfrog Sat 02-Jul-11 01:16:08

The last time they had a similar cost cutting review in 1984, they changed the Teacher Training Curriculum so that Special Needs changed from being a core subject, to become a voluntary option. And we are still suffering the affects of that.

Starchart Sat 02-Jul-11 07:49:33

And where the money goes.

They would rather spend more money on their own salaries/outsourced legal team to protect their own salaries than less money on a child but that goes to an outside person not chosen by them with no direct strategic benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now