Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Carers allowance and income support?

(11 Posts)
Chundle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:19:38

hi all just a quickie I claim carers allowance and don't work but my hubby does (fulltime but very poxy wage) someone said I could claim IS as I get carers but I didn't think I could as hubby worked. Can anyone shed any light on this when they have a spare min plz ta

brandy77 Tue 28-Jun-11 21:37:40

i get income support with carers but im a single parent so i dont know about a partner working, you could go to and put in all your details (its very easy) and see what calculation you get out of that to give you an idea smile

Chundle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:55:34

Thanks brandy

Chundle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:56:39

I went on entitled to and it didn't say income support but I went on the one and it said entitled to IS so confused will try an ring them

brandy77 Tue 28-Jun-11 21:59:19

good luck smile

bdaonion Tue 28-Jun-11 22:05:15

I just looked and it is very confusing. Looks like your hubby would have to work under 24 hours for you to qualify but do check and let us know!

Chundle Tue 28-Jun-11 22:08:49

Will do onion I'll ring tomorrow and post back up - also I get dla for myself for epilepsy so that raises the threshold a bit I think so changes things and complicates things even more! Lol. Someone in benefits office said to me my OH would be better off givin up work and claiming ca and IS! I'm sure they think that all people dont want to work and just want benefits! Anyway don't want him at home all day....

logi Tue 28-Jun-11 22:21:34

If his wage is low he could claim working tax credit.

Chundle Wed 29-Jun-11 12:33:15

Hi all well I rang them and went through the whole lot. She said generally if partner works over 24. Hours you can't get it but because we hav child on dla and me on dla it will go to a decision maker who can over ride the decision an make his own decision! The bad thing is I have to go to interview at jobcentre next Monday with dd2 in tow! Let's hope dd is a snarling miserable and tired creature so they can see exactly why she can't go to childcare ;)
Anyway I'd recommend anyone that is in doubt as to whether they can claim to just go for it as there's a chance te decisionmaker may say yes! Then of course I'd you get IS you get free school meals etc

bdaonion Wed 29-Jun-11 15:13:11

Thanks for the update Chundle, and good luck with the interview!

Chummybud1 Thu 30-Jun-11 18:12:00

Ii think you can claim income based income support, which I assume means that they will take into account your huubys wage, however even if you were only to get a small amount you would be able to get free school meals, maybe housing benefit etc, there would be no harm applying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: