Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Recommendations for books about parenting the ASD/Aspergers child please

(5 Posts)
MandMand Mon 27-Jun-11 18:10:27

After our meeting with the community paediatrician this afternoon, its starting to look increasingly likely that my DS1, who is now nearly 5, is going to end up with an ASD diagnosis, although probably at the milder end of the spectrum.

I'd be very grateful for any recommendations for parenting books to help me understand and support him better at home and at school. Thanks in advance.

brandy77 Mon 27-Jun-11 18:25:07

Im just about to google one that the educational psychologist recommended called "managing meltdowns", she said a lot of the books arent very helpful

PipinJo Mon 27-Jun-11 18:25:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yogabonkers Mon 27-Jun-11 20:52:51

i have found books written BY parents very good, as it helps me to know i'm not alone!

A REAL BOY is excellent. really well written as the dad is a journalist.

A FRIEND CALLED HENRY. oh, the authors names escape me at the mo, but you'll find them on amazon. NUALA GARDNER! (i think)

THINKING IN PICTURES, by a well known woman who has autism, but am afraid not doing well for the names tonight! gave me a real insight into a lot of my sons traits. TEMPLE GRANDIN! that is her name!

good luck. hope you find something useful.

signandsmile Tue 28-Jun-11 07:54:47

there was a recent thread on her with more recommendations, (sorry am a bit non techie to link to it, but will be previous page, or the one before)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now